Chapter Seven

𝑭𝒓𝒆𝒆

𝑭𝒓𝒊𝒅𝒂𝒚
I lift my eyelids reluctantly, looking around I try to grasp my surroundings. I notice a blanket that isn't mine, a bed that isn't mine, and an arm thats attached to a boy that... holds me.
Trying to gather my thoughts I realize it's Eddie, and Eddie's bed, Eddie's room.
The boy next to me sleeps heavily. On his stomach, his head turned to the wall, his arm on top of my stomach, hand wrapping around my waist. Choosing not to move I relish in his grasp. Pleasant feeling I move my head to look down at Eddie. How calmly he sleeps, how deeply. No movement but his chest, up and down, up and down. I wish I could see more of his face. A gleam of soft morning light surrounds us in his room.
Wait! Morning!
No, not morning, not morning in Eddie's house. In his bed, on a school day!
I sit up rapidly, regretting my speed when I feel sharp throbbing in my temples.
Eddie's arm slides down to my lap as I sit up right, he doesn't wake. Noticing the watch that is still on his wrist I lean over his back to check the time. Lifting his hand the watch reads eight twenty-seven. We've got to go. Eddie's hand smacks down on the bed when I drop it and I shove the blankets off of us, still nothing from him. My chest on his back, I lean over him again to look at his face. Eyelashes long and soft looking, he seems so peaceful.
" Eddie."
Rubbing his back I try to wake him.
" Eddie, come on!"
I pull on his shoulder, rolling him over. On my knees next to him I shake him a little.
" Eddie Munson! Wake up, we have to go to school!"
His eyes open and look up at me. I'm hovering over him, my hands on his chest.
" Huh. What happened."
His tired looking eyes dart around his room then back to my face. He seems so out of it.
" What happened? What happened Eddie is we drank last night, it was a school night, I'm in your bed, we have to go to school, and I have a massive hangover!"
I raise my voice, not angry, just frantic. I replay last night again in my head as I sit back letting Eddie sit up. Drinking, laughing, Eddie seeing me in my underwear, me seeing him in his, a bit blurry but I still remember the wonderful night.
Night, oh shit.
" I stayed the night!"
Eddie rubs his eyes and yawns.
" Yes, that would explain why you are here in my bed."
He giggles, I look to him letting him read my hectic eyes, a concerned expression crosses his face.
" You didn't want to? Do you even know what happened last night? I knew I shouldn't have let you drink that much. Im an asshole, I should have just taken you home. Shit I'm sorry."
Frowning I shake my head and get Eddie to look at me.
" No no no. That's not what I mean. First, I remember everything last night, I think."
Eddie looks away with an amused smile. I know exactly what he's thinking about, I continue.
" Second, I'm a big girl, I make my own decisions, I wanted to drink. Third you are not an asshole, you couldn't take me home because you had a lot to drink too, you don't have to be sorry. You were very sweet to me even though I was probably a pain to deal with."
Eddie's eyes look back to me.
" And I liked sleeping in your bed, you are warm."
A pleased smile is what his lips form.
He begins to speak, but as I leave dreamy Eddie land and my train of thought returns I start to freak out again.
" Oh fuck! Fuck, shit, fuck, fuck."
I repeat as I scramble out of the bed. Tangled in the blankets I fumble to my feet. Eddie looks to me wide eyed like I'v gone insane. I look back at him with pleading eyes.
" Eddie! Do you have a phone?"
Heart racing and anxiety high I try to get the sheets untangled from my legs and throw them on the floor when I succeed. Eddie scoots to the edge of the bed and points out the door to the phone in the kitchen. I run over to it quickly, praying to God I'm not in serious trouble.
I call the station immediately.

" Hello? Hi, this is Juliette Hopper. Is my dad there?"
I wait for my dad to come to the phone. I hear his angry tone and I shrivel up like a raisin just wanting to disappear all together.
" Juliette?"
" Yes dad, it's me." I meekly say into the phone waiting for his mad response.
" Juliette Hopper! You are in trouble young lady."
Shit. What am I going to say to him? I stay silent letting him continue.
"  I got home and you weren't there. I was worried sick! I thought something had happened to you Juliette. I called Jonathan you weren't there and then I called Nancy."
I'm dead, I am going to be killed by my own father.
" She told me you stayed the night at her house."
What? Oh Nancy, my sweet Nancy. Covering for me, how am I ever going to repay her.
" Juliette just because I've let you stay over at her house on school nights before doesn't mean you are allowed to spend the night every school night, especially when you don't call to tell me."
" I'm so sorry dad. I went over there as soon as school got out and we started studying and then fell asleep, I just totally forgot to call. I'm really really sorry, it wont happen again."
My eyes find Eddie as he stands leaning on his doorway grinning at me. My dad's voice is still in my ear but I'm not comprehending any of his lecture, I'm too distracted.
Eddie stands there shirtless. Damn, shirtless Eddie. Looking down at myself I cringe, his oversized T shirt and his sweatpants that are tied very tightly to my waist to keep them from falling down. Combing through my hair with my fingers I blush. I probably look like a train wreck.
My dad still talks into the phone, I am not listening, my eyes are glued to Eddie. He smiles at me all googily eyed despite my appearance.