The Way Down The Altar (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

"I could see you staring at me, y'know", she marked, her voice low.

-couldn't stop thinking about how beautiful she was.

My eyes met hers ...

She was just so ... wow.
So perfect.

"You're doing it again", she called me out of my stupor.
Fuck.
I looked away quickly, an awkward heat crawling up my cheeks.

Riri watched me for a bit before letting out a low chuckle, like she had just come up with an absurd discovery about me that was actually true.

"We should go shopping together sometime", she blurted out of nowhere, sitting up. "sister bonding."

We could go to hellfire and burn together, I wouldn't mind that either as long as she was with me.
But she didn't need to know that so I just gave an awkward nod and sat next to her.
"Sister bonding?"

"Mh-hm", she moved closer, our legs brushing and I felt myself shiver.

"Just a side note, I'm really not a dress person. So don't expect me to be fussing about anything girly with you"

She looked at me like I was kidding, her eyes particularly aimed at my earings and dress. "But your attire says otherwise, sweetheart"

"I know. My parents forced me into this, honestly"

She dropped herself on the bed again, "You're parents are unbelievable! They should grow up, seriously"

"If you care about your safety, don't say that in their own house"

"Or what?"

"Or they'll chase you out like a dog"

"They can't. They should know that I'm capable of convincing my little brother out of this foolish marriage, as I should. I'm pretty sure that would be their worst nightmare."

"They'll kill you", I pointed as she sat up and laughed a bit.

"And they would so die with me", she whispered, moving close to me. I had no idea what she meant but I didn't care. She looked more beautiful up close. More than beautiful.
Her scent devoured my nose and I took it in like a predator to a prey.
Riri moved the hair out of my face with her fingers, placing it at the back of my ear.

I stared into her eyes, she stared into mine.

Her jet-black orbs glowed and she seemed a bit far away.

Her fingers moved, slowly, from my ear to my cheek ... as if memorizing an old map ... down my chin, and up again to the back of my neck.

I breathed in when she swallowed.

My eyes moved from her eyes, to her nose, and below, to a spot I really shouldn't dare look at ... her lips.

My life was already complicated enough.
As much as I abhorred drama, here I was, contemplating on kissing my fucking sister in law. My head and heart at war.

Will one ever win?
Who even wanted to lose?
It was an endless fight, like always.

I didn't love Alfred. Alfred didn't love me, he had his boyfriend or whatsoever.
So what was there to lose?

My blood rushed, and once I was sure my body was going to betray me, she moved away.
She let go, keeping a distance.
Like nothing happened.
Like we weren't just about to kiss each other senseless, as if I didn't see it coming. As if it wasn't the only thing I wanted to do from the first moment I saw her.

The door was opened the same time a myriad of questions bombarded my sanity. "So nice to see you two bonding already", my mother smiled, peeking through the slightly opened door.

Why did she move away?
Did she decide against it? But she looked so close to doing it ...
Did I do or say something wrong?
Did she really want to kiss me? Or was it just me and my head getting ahead of me?

"Ya, your daughter is so sweet and we have so much in common", Riri played along, fake smiling. "Plus I can't get enough of her beautiful room, too bad she has to leave it once we become sister in laws officially."

Mom chuckled, "Aaaw, maybe you should come stay over some time. You and Alfred?"

What? No!
Wait— Yes!
I didn't want to see Alfred but ... If it took Alfred for me to see Riri then yes. I was going to take what I could have.

"Right, dear?", Mom looked at me.

"Absolutely, I don't think I would mind spending more time with them. They're great company, and Alfred is ... well, very handsome", I lied.

Mom seemed exhilarated about that.
"Oh my, my daughter is finally in love!"

Of course, she was not only going to buy it but also exaggerate it. I should've expected that.
Now my life was jeopardized and I was yet to be married by someone I didn't want.

  "I'm not-"

"You are!", Mom cut me off. "You so are! I could see the way you were nervous sitting beside him at the table. That's why you choked, right?"

"No, I-"

"I know, I know! You're too shy to admit it but I know. Don't worry, dear, I've been there too", Mom winked.

God, why can't she just shut the fuck up and let me speak? Why was she drawing her own conclusions on me?!

"Anyway, you guys should come down for dessert!"

With that, Mom left.

I sighed in defeat, feeling like strangling myself with a rope.

"So ... handsome, huh?"
I heard Riri's voice from the other side of the room.
She was standing by the window with her arms crossed and I didn't even see her go there.
She looked pissed.

"I-I didn't mean that-"

"Really? Out of all words, you chose 'handsome'?", she looked at me.
I had no idea why she was even fretting about it.
Was I missing something?

"That's the first thing that came to mind, I had no idea what else to say"

"Okay. Fine."
She dropped her hands and headed for the door. "Time for dessert, hope you're excited to sit next to your husband again."

"Is there something you aren't telling me, Riri?"

She grimaced, halting.
"My name is Goethe!"

"Oh" , aghast. What?

"Yes"

"I- I didn't know tha-"

"Because you never bothered to ask! Nobody does."

My heart broke at the pain between her words.

"It's always Alfred", she gritted her teeth. "Alfred this, Alfred that. I'm always just a mere shadow. Nothing but Alfred's sister. Not even known by my own name!", she stormed out, slamming the door.

I wanted to rush after her. I wanted to stop her and tell her how drop-dead gorgeous she was and how it drove me insane. I wanted to tell her how much more she mattered, and how interesting she was to me.
I wanted her to know that she was nothing compared to her brother and if I could choose who to marry between the two ... It would be her.
But I just stood there ... ... bile stuck on my throat and her name ... on my tongue.

I couldn't believe it was just one day.
One day of me meeting this creature and now she had full control of me!

Little did I know, I was yet to enjoy this sister-in-law ride.