chapter 2

James POV:

Edward has been acting strange lately. Like he doesn't seem like himself. He's actually stood up to Gordon and Henry. I'm starting to wonder if what Edward said was true. Maybe he truly had something planned. But what? What could someone as sweet as him possibly do? He puffed up beside Thomas at a junction.

He whistled "hello Thomas!"

Thomas looked over at him and smiled "hi James. You okay?" he asked.

"Sorta" He explained everything to Thomas and all he got out of it was him was laughter.

"James. You don't seriously think that old scrap trap is actually going to do anything do you?" Thomas asked.

James furrowed his brow. "You guys underestimate him" he said "maybe he was right" He blew his whistle and puffed away.

Thomas watched him puff away. He wondered what he did wrong.

James puffed down the line quietly thinking to himself. He looked around at the beautiful scenery. 'Why would he say that? That was his mentor when he first got here' he thought to himself. He glanced up hearing a whistle. It was Edward. He smiled "Hello Edward"

Edward's POV:

Edward heard James and looked up. Something was off though. His eyes didn't sparkle like they used to. They seemed so dull and empty. Like whatever was behind them was gone.

"Hello number 5" Edward said as puffed along. He never stopped though.

James's POV:

James watched him go by. He looked down at the rails. 'Did.. Did he just refer to me as my number..? He's never done that before' He was getting a bit worried. Something truly was going on and it didn't seem good.

_____________________________________________

What could be happening to Edward? Why would he refer to James as his number and not his name?