1 | The Voice From Beyond

This world is cruel.

It constructs itself on a teetering balance of both joy and misery, forever condemning us to a perpetual cycle of suffering. However, cruelty, much like any other antagonistic force of nature, can rarely be called bad. For in existence of cruelty, there is kindness.

The world is built upon many such dichotomies. Left and right. Up and down. In more abstract terms, one could consider good and evil or light and dark.

But what constitutes the injustice found within one side of the coin? Who is to be the arbitrator that draws the boundary of what is right and what is wrong? Any such fool that claims that god-forsaken right for themselves is nothing but selfish. Good can not exist without evil, much like how conversely, evil can not exist without good. The true injustice is, in my opinion, found within the light that blindly seeks to purge the darkness that supports it.

That's why I've always hated heroes.

.

.

.

The sounds had abruptly exploded into raucous chatter upon the echoes of the bell. Students had barely waited for the teacher to finish speaking before they excused themselves from their desks, joining their friends as they left the classroom.

"Remember, have pages 300 to 327 read and that paper finished by next class. Have a good day," the teacher droned.

It wasn't like I was completely zoned out the whole time, but, watching the almost hypnotic motions of the pen flipping between my fingers, I really was only half-listening. So, once that bell signaled the end of class, it was almost like a small poke to my side that roused my attention once more.

"Daydreaming again?" a soft, feminine voice called from my side.

I put the pen down onto the wooden desk and smiled.

"Only about half-so. Lost me around when he started talking about math." I glanced back towards the board, seeing the various arrows and diagrams depicting the trajectories of various planetary bodies. It wasn't that I particularly disliked astronomy, I actually found it rather interesting, but things always seem significantly more boring when taught in a classroom. "Are you going back to the dorms Kai'sa?"

Her pink hair fell over her lips as she tilted her head with a clumsy smile.

"Not yet. I have a couple things to take care of later with Akali," Kai'sa said.

"Speaking of which," I started, eyeing the slumped over form seated in front of me. "I wonder how she's still sleeping through the bell."

The blue-haired girl's shoulders rose and fell. From the corner of my eye, I could even see the teacher packing up the course materials while watching the napping Akali with a disappointed shake of his head. Kai'sa leaned close and gently shook her arm.

"Akali," she whispered quietly, "the bell rang already."

However, despite the tender awakening, Akali shot her head up with a confused panic.

"What's going on?! Is the world ending?" she blurted.

With my cheek resting on my palm, I chuckled. "You should consider going to sleep earlier."

She turned her body to me with an irritated expression. 

"It's not like you're paying any more attention than I am during class!" she fumed.

"And somehow I still get better grades? Crazy how that works," I quipped.

She opened her mouth as if to say something, but quickly bit her lip. The fact was true though. I was not necessarily an honors student like Kai'sa was, but I was certainly above average, at least good enough to get by comfortably and effortlessly, a quality that Akali always complained about. From our exchange, a soft giggle escaped Kai'sa's lips.