Voices ✨🌀

This is both a headcanon and a oneshot, and it's an(other) angsty one! Enjoy!

Thanks to @4Technical2Error0 for helping with the characters and story.

I headcanon that all of the states have voices in their heads. Let me explain. All of the states are comprised of cities, and as we've seen in canon, those cities can sometimes show in the states.

I think it would be something along the lines of "the more prominent a city, the more influence/power it has." That would also mean that the more important a city, the easier it is to show in the state, and the louder the city's voice would be in the state's head.

The larger cities can manifest their own bodies if they want, but usually just stay inside. This applies to Gov, too, with character like CDC. They can also show through the state.

Of course, that can lead to problems when the cities don't agree...

Warnings: Mental Illness, hurt/comfort

Normally, Texas could keep the cities under control. But with the recent legislature passed, Austin wouldn't shut up. He kept Texas up at all hours, nagging him incessantly. The other cities (today, it was Houston) took turns trying to shut him up, but so far it was to no avail.

"You're taking away rights!"

"No, Austin, he's keeping the peace."

"Like hell he is! There's gonna be protests and rioting with this new bill!"

"No there won't."

"Yes there will, and you know it! If you oppress anybody, especially such a large group of people, there will be consequences!"

"Enough, both of you!" Texas shouted, unsure of whether he had said it aloud or in his head. Either way, both of the cities went quiet for a second. "I cain't focus with you two fighting in my head all day, especially durin' the table meetin's!"

"Yeah, well, with the new stuff," Austin began, "We're not going to be the only headache you'll have!"

"Be quiet, Austin! You're givin' me a migraine!" Texas closed his eyes, which did nothing for the ringing in his head. He was also annoyed to realize that tears of frustration were beginning to form in his eyes. "I need to focus on that work that Gov gave us!"

"I'm not going to be quiet until you stop oppressing our people!"

"If you don't shut up, I swear I'll-"

"You'll what? Destroy my city? Take away people's rights? Oh, wait! You're already doing that!" Texas didn't respond, trying to distract himself by turning the TV on, but Austin went right on arguing with Houston and Dallas, who had shown up moments prior.

Three hours later, Texas could be found sitting at the small desk in his room, staring at the work Gov had given the states, trying in vain to think in the midst of the now-raging argument taking place in his head. He had been trying to do the work for almost two hours now (say what you want about Texas, but he isn't a slacker), but the pain in his head was only getting worse as more cities joined the fray. San Antonio, Texas City, Corpus Christi, and El Paso had all shown up, and all of them were getting angrier. At this point, Texas could barely see, much less think.

Adding to his misery was the fact that he hadn't slept in three days, nearly four. It was almost eleven pm, he hadn't eaten or drank anything, and no amount of tylenol or melatonin could help.

So all Texas could do was yell at the states in his head- and, apparently, out loud.

And because evidently the universe was enjoying his plight, of course there was someone around to hear it.

-----

New York hadn't even tried to fall asleep yet- he wasn't really one to go to bed before one in the morning- which had him roaming the halls at eleven pm, on his way to the kitchen to find a late night snack.

As he was passing Texas's room, he heard a shout from inside. He froze, thinking it was directed at him- who else would it be? He was the only one awake, and all of the neighboring rooms' occupants were, presumably, asleep- before realizing that Texas had shouted "Austin, shut up!"

New York, now unsure of what to do, standing outside of Texas's room in the dead of night, stood there for a second before pushing the door open quietly.

Texas didn't hear him come in. He was sitting at his desk, back facing the door, face in his hands. It took New York a second to realize he was crying.

"Hey, are you okay?" New York was speaking quietly, but Texas just about jumped out of his seat, eyes wide. He turned quickly, eyes filled with tears and rage.

"Why are you here?"

"Because you were yellin'. Wanted to make sure you weren't getting mugged." Texas glared.

"Well, I ain't, so you can just move along." Instead of leaving, which is what he normally would have done, New York set a hand on his shoulder.

"You sure, bud? I might be able to help."

"You? Help? Why would you? You hate me."

"That's not fair. I hate everyone. But I also respect that havin' to deal with cities ain't fun. No, really," He said in response to Texas's look of skepticism. "I have to listen to Queens and the Bronx rail on about who had the better sports teams."

"This ain't about sports, you little-"

"I know it ain't, but it's similar enough."

"Fine. I guess anythin' is better than sittin' here starin' at my desk for the rest o' the night." He moved to the bed, resting his head against the headboard. New York, unsure of exactly what to do, started,

"Alright, so-"

"Austin, quiet down! I'm trying to- Sorry, New York," He actually looked sorry- Texas, apologetic? What world is this?- as he looked over at him, seeming more lucid than he had all night. "Why're you all the way over there? I'm not gonna punch you. Not right now, anyway." New York, slightly bemused, sat down on the edge of the bed, some part of him still wondering why he was here.

"I was just about to say that yelling at them doesn't help." He smirked. "I can't speak for you, but my cities don't usually listen when I tell them to shut the (speaks New York) up." Texas nodded, wincing slightly. "Yeah, most of 'em are really stubborn. Anyway, try earbuds- those help- and focusing on an object across the room can help. Y'know, the power of distraction."

"That hain't done nothin' so far."

"Wow, that bad? That hasn't happened in a while, for any state." After a moment, he added, "I think I guess at least part of what caused it-"

"Don't talk about it- I think Austin has finally started to quiet- (speaks Texas)- never mind." it was New York's turn to look apologetic.

"Sorry, did I make it worse?" Texas didn't respond immediately, and when he did, his voice was strained.

"No, another city just showed up." New York looked surprised.

"How many cities you got fighting in there?"

"S- Seven." New York winced in sympathy (which was not something he thought he had in him still).

"Ouch. Well, you could try melatonin-"

"I did. I've been awake for three days straight. It doesn' help."

"-or headache medicine-"

"Tried it."

"Wow, this is worse than anything I've ever had." They both went quiet for a second, then New York awkwardly said,

"Well, I think I'm going to go back to my-"

"Can you just stay for another five minutes? You were right, about the whole power of distraction thing." So he stayed.

Next thing he knew, he was waking up, leaning against the side of the bed, to soft sunlight and the sound of Texas quietly snoring.