Two Brothers 🌀

Despite the title, this is not a songfic. I wanted to write some civil war angst, so please take this poorly written fic. In this, West Virginia and Virginia are twins.

Warnings: war, injury, death, sad shit

His heart skipped a beat. Across the battlefield, gray-clad figures hurried around. There were thousands of men, tens of thousands, but only one stood out.

Even from half a mile away, West could tell who it was. A spitting image of himself, right down to the worry crease between his eyebrows and the birthmark covering the left side of his jaw. His brother, his friend, his twin.

Virginia.

Despite the fact that they were now enemies, squaring up to fight, West still harbored some hope of being with his brother again. They had never exactly been close, because, even in those early days, they had been on opposite sides. But even as he tried to convince West to join the Confederacy, Virginia acted brotherly.

Maybe it was all a ploy. West hoped not. Despite everything, despite this, he still looked up to Virginia.

So it was with a heavy heart and a heavy hand that he took up arms against him as the army began to march.

-----

Virginia had seen too much fighting. He was growing numb to the horrors of war. And while that was a good thing for his sanity, it was worrying that he could shoot someone without thought.

As he mowed down the lines of opposing soldiers, using both his bayonet and his musket, Virginia tried not to think about the one soldier he knew he couldn't kill.

-----

West watched in horror as Virginia slaughtered his men, an impassive look on his twin's face. He hated this. He didn't want to keep fighting, didn't want to keep seeing his friends, his brothers-in-arms, die.

He knew he was the only one who could face down Virginia. As a state, he was stronger and faster than any mortal could be.

With grim acceptance, he took a step towards Virginia, musket raised. Before he could get any farther, a sharp pain, unlike anything he had ever experienced, shot through his lower back. He looked down to see the tip of a bayonet speared through his gut.

-----

Virginia turned just in time to see West fall to his knees, his uniform soaked red. He screamed, raising his gun and firing a single shot at him. West ducked, eyes widening, as the bulled shot over his head, taking down the man who had just speared him. Discarding his gun, Virginia dropped down next to West.

"Brother." West's eyes were full of pain as he looked up at Virginia. "So good to-" He coughed, red splattering his lips. "So good to see you again." Virginia smiled, his eyes brimming with tears.

"I wish it was under better circumstances." He lunged forward as West fell back, catching him lightly under the shoulders. "Hey- no- stay awake-"

"This is it, brother. My first death." West was strangely calm. "Maybe, if I'm lucky, I can sleep through the rest of the war."

"No! Don't talk like that." Virginia settled his twin more comfortably against his shoulder. "I just got you back, I don't want to lose you." West coughed again, eyes fluttering.

"Promise me one thing." West continued like Virginia had never spoken.

"Anything."

"Promise me that you'll see my body back to the... back to the White House." He whispered.

"Of course I- No! Stay awake!" West had closed his eyes, breathing shallowly. They stayed like this for another thirty seconds or so before West's eyes flew open and he smiled up at Virginia.

"I love you, Vir-" He trailed off, his eyes shutting. Virginia shook his shoulders.

"West!" He didn't move, didn't wince. "West!"

If he didn't know better, he would have thought he was sleeping.