Dig Dug

Cal woke up the next day to the sound of Dustin's voice coming from his walkie talkie. He groaned at how Dustin wouldn't shut up, so he rolled to the side and dropped out of his bud.

"Ow, Not my best idea..." He groaned out, rubbing his head where he fell. He reached over to his walkie and grabbed it.

"All right, it's Dustin again. Seriously, I have a code red."

Cal is about to answer him when Erica's voice beats it to him. "Would you please shut up?" 

Now Cal doesn't really know Erica that well, but from what Lucas has told him about her and the very few times he has seen her, he knew she was very sassy.

Cal decided to not intervene and enjoy the fun.

"Erica? Erica, is Lucas there? Where is he?"

"Don't know. Don't care."

"I-is he with Mike o-or Cal?" Dustin stuttered out, shocked that someone had finally answered, but the response was one he didn't want.

"Like I said, I don't know and I don't care." Erica sassed to Dustin, making Cal let out a small giggle.

"Please tell him it's super important. Please tell him that I have a code-"

"Code red?" Erica cut him off.

"Yep, code red. Exactly."

"Mhmm. I got a code red for you instead. It's called code Shut-Your-Mouth." Erica sassed before she turned off the walkie. Cal laughed, imagining the expression Dustin had on his face right now.

"Erica?" Dustin asked, hoping she was still there. Cal decided to finally answer him after he had finished laughing.

"Not Erica, but hopefully I'm better." Cal said into the walkie, letting Dustin know he was there. "Gotta say, that interaction between you two made my day." he said, letting out a chuckle.

"Anyway, what's the code red Dust?" Cal asked, getting ready to leave the house. He went downstairs and found no sign of Steve. He shrugged his shoulders and grabbed an apple for breakfast.

"Cal! You son of a bitch! Meet me at Mike's house!" Dustin shouted, his voice filled with relief and annoyance.

"Right Now?"

"Now!"

"Alright, alright. Jesus, I'm on my way." Cal said, grabbing his skateboard and making his way to Mike's house. He wanted to spend the day with Max at the arcade or his place, but he's going to have to wait now that Dustin has a code red. Maybe he should ask if she wants to come?

Cal finally made it to Wheel's house and saw Dustin outside waiting for him. He got off his skateboard, picked it up, and ran over to the boy.

"Alright Dust, what's going on?" Cal asked him.

"Dart got big again and Hopper is MIA." Dustin summarized. Cal stopped and looked at the boy.

"I'm sorry, but how do you know Dart got bigger? We never found him." Cal questioned Dustin. The curly boy started to get nervous.

"I may have had him the whole time." Dustin nervously explained.

Cal stood in front of Dustin, looking into his soul. Dustin gets more nervous by the second.

"How long?" Cal seethed out.

"H-huh?" Dustin stuttered, scared of the look he was getting.

"How long have you had him?"

"Ever since the day on the field." Cal looked like he was about to blow.

"You've kept him for that long?!" Cal yelled at him. Dustin closed his eyes at how loud he was.

"He went home by himself. He missed me!" Dustin yelled in pure fear.

"I don't care! You kept him even when you knew he was from the upside down! Holy shit Dustin! For someone as smart as you, you make the stupidest decisions!" Cal took a deep breath, trying to calm himself.

"I know and I'm sorry alright, but right now we need to tell Mike okay? You can still be mad at me, but we need to focus." Cal let out a sigh at Dustin.

"Dustin, I'm not mad alright? I'm just annoyed that you didn't tell us. You should've, at the very least, told one person man." Cal explained, his anger fading away.

"I'm sorry, we had a bond and-"

"It's fine, it's fine okay? We all make mistakes. Just next time don't do anthing stupid like this again." Cal interrupted Dustin. Dustin looked at Cal and saw the small, comforting smile on his. Dustin nodded his head, returning the smile as they both made their way to the front door. Cal ringed the doorbell, but Dustin decided to ring it over and over.

The door finally opened to Mr. Wheeler with a bored face standing in front of the two. Dustin glanced at Cal then back at the older man. "Your line has been busy for over two hours Mr. Wheeler. Do you realize this?"

"Oh, I do realize." Mr. Wheeler said, leaning against the door frame.

"Is Mike home?" Cal asked, not wanting Dustin to get on the old man's nerves, even though he enjoyed watching the two bicker.

"No."

"No? Well where the hell is he?" Dustin asked with raised eyebrows. Cal was about to slap the boredom off the old man's face in a minute, it was not the time to be dealing with this.

"Karen, where's our son?" Ted shouted to his wife. "Will's!" She shouted back. Ted turned back around to the kids. "Will's." Cal gave him a 'really' expression. Ted was about to close the door when Dustin spoke up.

"No one's picking up there. Nancy. What about Nancy?"

"Karen, where's Nancy?" Ted asked his wife again as she yelled in frustration. "Ally's. Our children don't live here anymore. You didn't know that?"

"I don't blame them." Cal bluntly said to the older man, who shot him a glare in return.

"Seriously" Dustin asked.

"Am I done here?"

"Son of a bitch. You're really no help at all, you know that?" Dustin and Cal walked away from Ted.

"Hey! Language."

Cal rolled his eyes as he and Dustin made their way to Dustin's bike on the ground as a familiar car parked on the side of the street. Cal looked at the car confused as his brother got out of it muttering something, holding red roses in his hand.

"Steve." Dustin called out, walking to the teen. Cal followed him, still wondering why Steve was here.

"Cal?" Steve asked, noticing the two.

"Are those for Mr. and Mrs. Wheeler?" Dustin asked.

"No." Steve responded, confused on why the two boys were here.

"Good." Dustin snatched the flowers out of Steve's hand and went to the car, leaving the other two.

"Hey! What the hell? Hey!"

"Sorry Steve, Nance isn't home and we need your help." Cal said, walking to the backseat of Steve's car as Dustin got the front seat.

"Help? Where is she?" Steve asked.

"It doesn't matter. We have bigger problems than your love life." Cal winced at Dustin's statement. "Do you still have that bat?"

"Bat? What bat?"

Cal sat in the back next to his skateboard and peeked his head through the gap and faced Steve. "The one you used last year to fight the Demogorgan."

"Why?" Steve asked again, still standing where he was.

"Steve, just get in the car and drive us. Dust will explain everything on the way there."

"Now?"

"Now!"

To be continued.