You're in Danger, Too

Start from the beginning

You thought about it for a moment, forcing your attention away from Five. Had Ben somehow regained his body momentarily? Was that even possible?

"You are unbelievable, Klaus," Luther scoffed, shaking his head.

"You want proof? Is that it?" Klaus asked, annoyed. "All right. I... I'll give you proof." He picked up a bowling ball, spinning it in his hands and blinking hard. "All right, it's showtime, baby. Catch!" He tossed the pink bowling ball and Five leaned back quickly, bumping into you. His face reddened and he cleared his throat, and you pushed him forward again.

"I'm not going to forgive you," you hissed when he turned to face you, a hurt expression on his face. In the meantime, the bowling ball had clattered to the floor, unhindered.

"Is there any way to silence that voice in your head that screams out to be the center of attention?" Luther asked in the awkward silence that followed.

"You know, I liked you a lot better before you got laid!" Klaus said loudly, and you watched as Luther's eyes bugged out. You were suddenly ultra-aware of where your shoulder met Five's, and you both shifted uncomfortably as everyone stared at Luther.

"Which was a complete... It... It wasn't his fault, 'cause he was ridiculously high, right?" Klaus said quickly, swallowing hard. "And... And the girl, she thought he was a furry..."

"Stop," Luther snapped, closing his eyes as you choked back a laugh. You buried your head in your elbow as your shoulders shook, unable to hold it in anymore. You lifted your head to watch as Luther slowly turned to Allison, who grabbed her notecards and walked off. You felt at least a little bad then, worrying for your sister.

"Allison, wait," Luther pleaded, chasing after her.

"Excuse me," a rosy-cheeked woman said in a whiny, high pitched voice as she walked over. She had her arm wrapped tightly around a boy probably about 11 or 12, who had a blue bow on his striped shirt. Five turned to face her slowly. "Excuse me, it's my son Kenny's birthday today, and... uh... wouldn't your son and daughter be happier playing with kids their own age?" Five narrowed his eyes at her, and you grinned, elbowing him in the ribs. "Assuming it's okay with your two dads," the woman added, and you had to choke back another laugh.

You watched as Klaus and Diego slowly turned to face Five, who was still glaring at her.

"I would rather chew off my own foot," Five spit, his nose wrinkling.

"What he means," you said quickly, pinching his arm, "is that he's too lazy to get up. Sorry."

"Let's go, Kenny," the woman said, still clearly offended, and they shuffled off. You ignored Five as he chased something down, leaving you alone, instead turning to face Diego and Klaus. Klaus stood up and began to pace, rubbing his forehead.

"If I were going to date a man, you'd be the last man I would date," Diego muttered.

"You'd be lucky to have me," Klaus fired back, and you giggled.

"Sorry, but Klaus is cuter," you told Diego in a serious tone.

"Wow, really?" Klaus asked, coming behind your chair and playing with a strand of your hair. "I thought you had the hots for Five." He drew out the last word teasingly, and you pushed his hand away.

"Shut up," you hissed, standing up and chasing after him as he laughed, chanting Five's name repeatedly. A few minutes later, you looked around. "Hey, where'd he go?"

"Spatial-jumped a while ago," Diego said, sharpening one of his knives. "Surprised you didn't notice. Thought you two were like, attached at the hip or something."

You glared at him.

"Wrong again, Diego. Somehow, almost everywhere I've gone since waking up, you've managed to be there as well. Not Five."

"All right, where's Five?" Luther asked as him and Allison walked in, thankfully looking less angry.

"He left."

"Of, for the love of... where'd he go?"

"Didn't tell us," Diego responded absentmindedly.

"Well, we're not waiting around for him. The concert starts in 30 minutes," Luther continued as Klaus offered you some popcorn. You shrugged and he tossed it at you, and you somehow managed to catch in in your mouth.

"All right, so what's the plan?" Diego asked, and Luther shifted on his feet uneasily.

"Well, I, uh... we go to the Icarus Theater."

"That's a location, not a plan," Diego said, frowning. He stepped closer when Luther simply opened and shut his mouth. "What? Is that all you got? Look, you wanna be Number One, fine, but you're gonna have to get us on the same page, because right now, we're all over the place."

"You're right." You and Klaus locked eyes, raising your eyebrows at those two words you never thought you'd hear come out of Luther's mouth. "We need a plan."

Suddenly, all of you turned to see masked figures, pointing guns at you.

"Get down!" Luther shouted as gunfire erupted. You gasped, heart pounding, as Klaus pulled you beneath a bar table next to Allison.

"Who the hell are these guys?" Diego shouted over to you from another table where he crouched next to Luther.

"Maybe they're here for Kenny's birthday!" Klaus shouted back, his hands over his ears.

"No, I'm pretty sure they're here for us!"

"No shit, Luther!" you shouted, pressing your back further into the table.

Suddenly Diego spun around, chucking a knife at one of them. They fell backward, collapsing onto the music player and starting up a new song as the lights dimmed. Everyone paused for a second, glancing around. You felt around on the table, gripping a glass pop bottle and shattering it on the ground so that you were left with a jagged end.

Luther began chucking bowling balls at them, knocking them down like pins as they continued firing. You crept closer to one of them, ducking behind a pillar when they spotted you, bullets pelting the air around your thin shield. You heard them creeping closer, but at the last second you ducked, aiming low and stabbing them in the leg as they came around the pillar. 

They went down silently, and you felt a guilty sort of pride flare through you as you scooped up their gun, struggling to aim but managing to shoot them in the other leg to ensure that they wouldn't move anytime soon.

You saw someone moving toward you, their gun aimed at your head, but Klaus threw a birthday cake at them, sending them falling backward.

"Thanks!" you shouted as you hefted the gun, sloppily aiming at the other masked shooters from where you hid beneath the table. You took a few down, praying that you weren't killing them.

"They're blocking the exit!" Klaus shouted from beside you, and you cursed under your breath as the gun ran out of bullets, chucking it at one of the bad guys and hindering them for a moment.

"So what's the plan now, Luther?" Diego yelled.

Allison tugged on your shirt, pointing toward the bowling section of the building.

"The lanes!" you shouted, and the others nodded.

"The lanes! Let's go!" Luther instructed, ducking low and running for the lanes. Everyone else followed, and you tried to block Allison's back from getting shot, but Diego pulled you to his side.

"Every man for themselves!" he yelled, and you nodded quickly, getting into the lane beside him. You scrambled through the dark tunnel, trying not to imagine the machinery slicing you up, and emerged in a darkening hallway.

"Come on, let's go!" You couldn't tell who had spoken, but you gratefully rushed through the door and away from the bowling alley.