Chapter Six

Chris snapped awake and cringed. It was dim, had he slept the entire day away. Was Daniel even alive? It took a moment to register he was in a bed, not on the ground and that it was dim because the only light came from the hallway and the bathroom. His skin felt raw like he had a horrible sunburn and he shivered in the coolness. He moved to get up but a firm hand on his shoulder stopped him. He blinked and looked up seeing his mother. “Mom…” he managed, still so thirsty. He saw a tube running from a bag of clear liquid ending at a needle in his arm.

“Shh.”

“Daniel…”

“He’s alive. He lost a lot of blood but Jefferson says he’ll recover.” She looked down at him, frowning. “That was a foolish thing to do.”

“You weren’t doing anything.”

Casi sighed. “Do you realize how impossible it is to stop poachers? It’s an organization as ruthless as any movie version of the mafia. You shut down one part and another pops up. It’s like the Hydra. Until you cut off the right head, it will continue to sprout heads.” She pulled up a chair. “I learned the hard way years ago.”

“So we do nothing.”

“The Africa Wildlife Defence Force is newly formed and doing its best to stop poaching but it takes time and energy. They’re as human as the rest of us and can only do so much.” She shook her head. “And when they have to go out of their way to rescue do-gooders, it takes from their main goal.”

Chris closed his eyes. “That poacher told me that rhino horn sells for thousands of dollars.”

Casi nodded. “Last statistic was about sixty thousand for rhino horn. It’s considered medicine in some countries with almost magical properties. Elephant tusks run about seventy thousand. In some places in the world, their street value is worth more than heroin. It’s a very ugly world out there.”

She took Chris’ hand in both of hers. “But there’s beauty too,” she said, her voice growing hoarse. “You reminded me of what I felt back then, seeing ‘Robi dead. We can do something but it takes time and never shows any reward but we can help the AWDF enforce their laws and crack down on poachers and…we can pray for a better world.”

Chris sighed and swallowed hard. “I’m thirsty.”

“They didn’t have Mountain Dew, hope you’re happy with water.”

“I’ll take anything.”

Casi helped him take a few sips of ice-cold water. He laid back down and smiled. “That was better than a Mountain Dew.”

“You scared me, running off like that.”

“Sorry. I was just so angry…” Chris shifted in the bed. “Angry at you for wanting to ignore everything and go home. Angry at the poachers for killing the elephant…”

“So was I.” Casi searched his face. “You reminded me of something. Something that I thought time had taken from me. The fire to help, whether it’s a cheetah cub or a little girl. I know I gave my parents scares as well but it didn’t seem so horrible then. I guess Uncle Richard’s right, what goes around comes around.” 

She shook her head. “I know you and Jason dream of working with your father one day but I’ve ignored what that means. I can’t say I wouldn’t rather you two be doctors or lawyers or something quiet and safe but I’d forgotten I never was safe myself. I was being hypocritical and I’m sorry. You’re my child and I’d protect you with everything in me until it was all gone.”

Chris winced. “Mom –”

“Hear me out. I’m not saying you can’t join with your father and Uncle Ethan when you’re old enough. Just bear with me because I’m very overprotective.”