Chapter Three

"Amazing what sleep will do for you."

The cheerful voice grated on his last nerve. He'd had a vicious headache that had kept him awake half the night. The left side of his face felt raw and swollen and he could barely see out of his left eye. "Go 'way."

"Everyone's gone. Nobody will see. I can snitch some of Mom's foundation if you want."

"Get lost."

"Rise and shine, brother."

"Justin Daniel, the mood I'm in I'm liable to kill you as much as look at you."

Jody snorted. "'Look' is the operative word."

"Shut up, Jody." Joe managed to sit up. He opened his good eye. "Wipe that smirk off your face."

Jody's grin widened. "The makeup offer's still open."

"No amount of makeup'll fix this." He got to his feet and went to the mirror at one end of the long building, hanging over a row of small sinks. The skin was red and puffy, bruised at his brow bone and cheekbone. The bruises were purple and a nauseating greenish-yellow. "Oh, man."         

"So, what really happened?"

"I wasn't watching where I was going and ran into a tree."

"Because you were watching someone, maybe?"

"Lay off, little brother.  Where's Jonny-boy?"

"He hates that name. He's gone with Dad somewhere."

"What?" Joe spun around and wished he hadn't. "Oh, rats."

"Now what?"        

"Dad must have seen the light Jonny-boy saw. They went to check it out."

"Jon didn't say anything."

"Doesn't matter. Let's go."

Jody looked him up and down. "You're going like that?"

"Like what?" Joe glanced down to see his boxer shorts and worn-out mesh high school football jersey. "Clothes. I need clothes. Where's my clothes?"

Jody pointed to the suitcase open at the foot of the bed Joe had slept in. "There."

Joe made it to his suitcase, pulled out jeans, a T-shirt, and socks. After dressing, he dragged a comb through his hair, brushed his teeth, and slipped on his shoes, then headed for the door,  after borrowing Jonathon's extra pair of sunglasses.

"Mom'll know."

"Then I'll avoid her."

"For the whole week? I'd love to see you try that."

"Oh, can it, Jody, before I give you a black eye."

Jody just grunted and followed Joe out of the building. "Now where are they?"

"I thought you knew."

"Like I said, Jon didn't say anything."

Joe cursed silently and heaved a sigh. He adjusted the sunglasses so the frame didn't press against his cheek. He felt thoroughly rotten. And he was hungry too. "Where do we eat?"

Jody pointed to a group of picnic tables shaded by a peaked metal roof held up by heavy-duty metal poles. A few tables, though, sat clear of the cover. "Over there. Breakfast is over, though."

"You're really helping my mood here, Jody."

"Sorry." Jody didn't look or sound very apologetic. He pointed to another building. "The game room's got a soda machine and a vending machine."