Chapter Three: The Wrath of Kyle

2 months, 1 week pregnant

I was beginning to show. It was only slightly and barely noticeable to anyone besides me, but I tried to cover up as much as possible. It won't be much longer until it won't be possible to hide

It was Thursday. One week after spring break. Less than three months until I finally get to graduate and leave Bailey High behind. No more sneers and evasive looks. Kyle Yurik and his group of followers would no longer affect me.

I was walking into the cafeteria with Jenna when I felt a strong hand grab my wrist. The hand pulled me backward and out of the cafeteria, causing me to yelp. Jenna followed me and my aggressor out of the cafeteria. As soon as she got a good look at who had grabbed me, Jenna instantly looked pissed. About five seconds later, I was tossed against the brick wall of the hallway.

"Stop it Kyle! What the h*ll is wrong with you?!" Jenna screamed at the person pushing my shoulders against the wall.

I looked up into the green eyes of Kyle Yurik. My ex-boyfriend. My baby's father. There was nothing but pure anger in his eyes. No way was I prepared for this. The wrath of Kyle.

"Are you going around telling people you're pregnant with my kid?! What's wrong with you?! You know I didn't knock you up, so why don't you shut your freaking mouth and stop spreading rumors," he yelled no more three inches from my face.

I started crying. Not only was I scared of how Kyle was acting, but I had no idea how he'd even found out. No one knew besides my family and Jenna, all of which wouldn't speak a word unless I said they could. This aggressive reaction was exactly why I hadn't wanted to tell Kyle I was pregnant. I knew he wasn't going to care. I knew he'd deny it.

Jenna's face turned bright red with anger and she started pulling on Kyle's muscular arm.

"What's wrong with her?! What's wrong with HER?! What's wrong with you, Kyle? You're only doing this because you are too immature to face the truth! This is your baby! You did get her pregnant! You know she's not starting rumors! You got her pregnant at the vacation house during February break, you imbecile!" Jenna yelled in Kyle's face. I cried harder. Kyle's expression turned serious after Jenna's last sentence left her mouth.

"Well-I-it-AGH! You know that's not true! I wore a condom and it didn't break! You're just a wh*re whose trying to blame her dirty mistakes on me!" Kyle yelled, retreating a few steps back from me.

Jenna's jaw dropped to the floor and her eyes blazed with anger. I continued to sob like a broken record; weak. Before I knew what was happening, Jenna's hand had connected with Kyle's face. Once. Twice. And then her fist connected directly on his perfect nose. If I had blinked I probably would've missed it.

"Now you listen to me Kyle Yurik! If I ever hear you call her any dirty names again, you'll be wishing you were never born! And you know what, don't worry your pretty little face over this baby because I will make damn sure you are never in his or her life! No one disrespects Sophia like that and gets away with it! You better watch yourself Yurik, I mea-"

Jenna didn't get to finish her sentence because Kyle shoved her shoulders and caused her to slam against the wall. Hard. She fell to the floor holding the back of her head. I cried harder. I was overwhelmed with heartbreaking sobs. I could barely breath. Kyle looked at me and laughed. Cold.

"You really are crazy, Sophia. Boy, do I regret f*cking you," he laughed again and then walked into the cafeteria.

I fell to the floor next to Jenna, who wrapped one of her arms around my shoulders while the other one still held the back of her head.

"Are you alright?" said a male voice.

I looked up and my eyes widened. The male voice had come from a beautiful boy. He was tall, thin, and muscular. He had dirty blonde hair and bright blue eyes; a face like a god. Perfect cheek bones and a strong manly jaw. He had a scar on the side of his face; a part of me had the urge to stand up and kiss it. I don't think I'd ever seen such a beautiful boy.

"Yeah, we're fine," Jenna replied, pulling me out of my trance.

"Are you sure? I heard yelling while I was in the bathroom and when I came out I saw that Kyle guy shove you against the wall," he gestured to Jenna, "and I thought you might need a little help."

I hadn't realized how wonderful his voice was the first time he had spoken. It was deep and alluring and it made me want to crawl up inside of it and fall asleep. It was warm and soothing and made me smile through my tears.

"Y-yeah," I stuttered, my voice weak from crying, "We're alright. It was just a little misunderstanding. Kyle's just being a jerk." I smiled while Jenna helped me to my feet. As soon as I was standing, the boy got good look at me. I blushed and looked away.

 "Well, if he gives you anymore trouble, just let me know. I'm Jared, by the way," he said with a smile while offering me his hand. I took it and he gave it a good shake.

"I will. Thank you, Jared. I'm Sophia," I said, returning his smile.

"I know. Sophia McKenna. I've heard a lot about you," he said, surprisingly, with a smile.

"Oh, well I'm guessing it's some pretty bad things then, huh?" I said. I looked to my left and I realized that Jenna had left us.

"Well, yeah, but if it matters, I don't believe them," he smiled warmly at me.

"Really?" I said, my voice cracking.

"Yeah. Don't let those people get to you. I grew up with people like that."

"Thanks, I guess," I smiled wider.

"You're welcome, 'I guess'," he said mockingly.

I laughed. Just then I realized we were still shaking hands. I looked down and blushed, pulling my hand away. "So I'll, um, see you around?" I said it more like a question than a statement.

"Yeah, I'd really like that," he replied, "See you around, Sophia."

"Bye, um, Jared," I uttered.

He winked at me and walked down the hall in the opposite direction of the cafeteria.

Wow. I didn't know a wink could make me feel like just... Wow. I could't get the smile to leave my face. This Jared had just made me completely forget all about my worries with only a smile and a wink. It didn't make any sense. I had so many things to worry about. How was I going to deal with Kyle later on? How was I going to raise my baby? How was I going to provide for myself and my baby in the future? Yet all I could think about is this guy, who had only been nice to me. All I could think about was his smile and his bright blue eyes. His thick eye lashes and his deep voice.

I didn't know why, but some how I think meeting Jared was going to turn out to be a good thing. I sure hoped so.