four ♣

"i can't believe we're not in the same home room class," jaemin groaned. the results had just been turned in and it turned out that the only one out of the group of four who were in the same class, were donghyuck and mark. donghyuck wasn't sure what to make of his situation, but he figured it was better than not knowing anyone in his class. plus, he had a chance to get closer with mark and learn more about him.

   home room classes were mixed with freshman and sophomores, and then juniors and seniors so donghyuck didn't have to explain anything about his school entry yet.

   just as donghyuck was thinking about a certain male, mark looked at him, catching his attention. "let's get along well," he stuck his hand out for the younger to shake. donghyuck blinked blankly before slowly reaching out and meeting mark's cold and rough hands. compared to mark's, donghyuck's were so soft and warm.

   their hands embraced eachother until mark firmly shook donghyuck's hand. that seemed to bring donghyuck back to reality as he pulled away from mark's hand, shooting him an awkward smile. 

   "i guess we should get going to our classes before the bell rings then," jaemin sighed. "show him around, yeah?" jaemin asked mark with a hopeful glimmer in his eye. "okay," he nodded, unintentionally placing a hand on donghyuck's shoulder and sending chills up his spine. 

   jeno and jaemin turned around as their classrooms were in the same direction, "see you guys later," jeno waved. when mark and donghyuck were left in the busy hallway alone, a tense air enveloped them, making it hard to speak to one another. "wanna go now?" mark asked as he stared at the ground, one hand shoved into his pocket. donghyuck gripped on tightly to the binder in his hand. "yeah, let's go."

   the short walk to their classroom was silent. the two of them weren't exactly friends. in fact, they weren't much more than two strangers who happened to be roommates that also shared mutual friends. 

   mark's long strides came to an abrupt stop, causing donghyuck to collide with his back. "sorry," he apologized, taking a step back. mark either didn't hear him or didn't mind him, seeing that he didn't answer. "we're here," he stepped to the side, revealing an open classroom. 

   random students sat or stood around the classroom, chatting with their fellow friends. this was it. finally, the entire purpose why donghyuck's parents allowed him to enroll in the all boys highschool. the education system was said to be strict but very beneficial. the ravenette had worked hard to get into the school and finally, he was there. donghyuck took a deep breath before forcing his legs to take a step forward and enter the room.

   heads turned but he greeted each one with a friendly smile. he had always been extroverted and good at making friends after all. "where should we sit?" his voice wavered, but he was sure mark didn't notice it. while his heart beat in his chest at a million miles per hour, he kept a brave face on, ignoring the fear in his mind.

   mark looked at him with an unreadable expression. he grabbed onto donghyuck's arm, pulling him gently towards the back. "let's sit here," he suggested, placing his belongings on a desk and watching as donghyuck did the same next to him. 

   donghyuck was beyond relieved at mark's choice. if the older had chosen a seat near the front or center of the room, he wasn't sure if he could pull off the unbothered look. even as he sat in the back of the class, he anxiously waited for the room to fill up and the actual period to begin. 

   just a few moments later, the bell rang. last minute students rushed into the classroom in hopes that they wouldn't get in trouble. meanwhile, others laid out everything they needed on their desk neatly, looking prim and posh. donghyuck was somewhere in the middle— which really meant that he wasn't either of them.