Otto wasn't stupid, she knew how to present a man with an opportunity, and her leaving JJ and walking to the drinks table was her presenting Wes with an opportunity.

An opportunity he gladly accepted.

When she turned around with her newly poured drink she saw Wes, "Figured you were a tequila girl." He smirked.

"I'm not a tequila girl, I'm an anything-that'll-get-me-drunk girl." She corrected him.

He nodded, "I've seen you around before, I thought you were a touron." He began a conversation.

"I was a touron, I just moved here this summer." She explained.

He nodded, "I'd offer you a tour around the island but considering how many times I've seen you on this island before I doubt you'd need one."

Otto shook her head, "I don't need one, but I can always pretend to be clueless if that makes you feel better?" She offered sarcastically.

"That would make me feel better. I can take you to all my favourite places on the island. I can promise you you won't have seen them all." He leans down and brushes a lock of her dark hair off her face, she raised a judgemental eyebrow.

There was something about Otto that had the men of the Outer Banks flocking to her in droves.

She wasn't overly popular in her hometown, she had had a few boyfriends before, only two of those being serious relationships. Shockingly, none of them were successful. They both managed to fuck her up in different ways.

First, there was Dante, he was a baseball player and thus wildly popular. A good one too. As her first real boyfriend she was obsessed with him. And from the surface it looked like he was too. She liked him enough to attend all his games, which was impressive considering she fucking hated baseball. The entire time she had to try not to doze off, how anyone could ever enjoy it was beyond her.

She should've seen the red flags from the beginning, his phone constantly blowing up with notifications. He wasn't even subtle, he'd text girls right in front of her, and when she asked he'd gaslight her into thinking she was crazy.

She wasn't crazy.

He was cheating on her.

Her second boyfriend was Kieran, he was the opposite of Dante in every way. He wasn't cool, or athletic (he did know how to skateboard though, which as teenager was very attractive) he had a few close friends but that was really it. He was a few years older than her. Too many years older than her. At sixteen he was almost twenty-two, their relationship was straight up illegal, which meant they kept it under wraps.

He never laid a hand on Otto, and he reminded her of that fact all the time. He would always tell her "you're so lucky it's not okay to hit women." He liked the idea of Otto, the young naive girl, and when she proved to not be as naive and easy to manipulate as he had thought he began to increase the pressure for her to conform.

She looked back on that relationship with a lot more heartbreak.

He was the straw that broke the camels back. After him she vowed not to trust anyone.

"I just might take you up on that."

A smile spread across his lips. As the night went of they both drank, he encouraged her every step of the way. JJ watched them like a hawk, he didn't trust Wes, he was far too much like Rafe for him to consider that.

And when Wes began dragging a stumping Otto back to his car JJ finally stepped in.

"Otto. Your phone is in the Twinkie." He lied through his teeth.