"What is there to do here?" Rayan asked.

"Swimming. Climbing. Name it, there's probably something we could figure out," Jon said. "Trust me, Ray, as a fellow Kestran, you'll like what we do here. This is where we let loose and have some fun before our big testing blocks and the winter parties. Also where I like to test out Starcross plays on the field."

"It's like you can't get anything in his head except netbats and balls and the scores of the championship." James adjusted his camera bag, and his beat up camera rested in his palms as he scowled at Jon when he boomed with laughter. His mind lit up with another possibility.

He slid to Meryn's level. "Hey, Meryn. Can we talk outside?"

"Not giving you relationship advice."

Heat washed into his cheeks. "Nothing like that, just come on."

Meryn hauled himself off the bed, and the two left Jon and James to bicker before heading to the wash station. The door slid closed behind him.

"So?" Meryn mused.

"I know James and Ava's birthday's are coming up," Rayan said. "I want you to help me with James' present."

"Really?" Meryn lit up. "What are you getting him?"

Rayan took out his datapad, and showed the board of his present. Meryn balked at the price in bold letters at the top. "James would murder you if he saw this."

"I know his camera isn't working as well as it used to since I knocked it into the pond," Rayan explained as Meryn swiped through the details. "Half his shots don't come out right anymore, and I know it's starting to piss him off. In our arts classes, I got the idea while he gave me a picture to draw — I'm going to get him a new camera. I just wanted to make sure it has the right set up and that I didn't miss anything."

"And where do you plan on getting this? Are you having it shipped in?"

"No. It's in stock in Roxton," Rayan explained. "I had Mom put one on hold — all that's left is to go get it. I want you to come with me, Meryn. You've known James longer than I have."

"And you're already picking up on his photography habits and needs?" Meryn questioned. "Does Ava know?"

"She does."

"What are you getting her?"

"She hasn't told me what she wants yet," Rayan admitted. "I think she wants me to draw something for her, but she mentioned that it wasn't 'ready' yet... but while I was hanging out with her I saw her poster for the Aetherium Werewolves."

Meryn stuck out his tongue. "Popular band."

"I know their next concert is next Octan," Rayan said. "I'm still working out the details with that, but I'm going to try and get tickets to it."

"Okay... but why do you need me to come with you to pick up James' present?"

Rayan frowned at Meryn. "Just in case I need to pick anything else up that you think he'd like."

As Meryn opened his mouth, someone knocked on the door, and Jon opened it.

"Time to go enjoy ourselves, people. Yvonne just went to the river to check the temperatures, and we're good to go. Everything's on and activated, so it's time to enjoy our free week before the endless misery that is first block testing!" he said with a cheerful tone. "James is already downstairs with the others, Ava has called a small meeting, so hop to it!" Jon clapped his hands for a rallying tone before leaving with quick strides down the spiral staircase.