five

FIVE - TRUST FALLS

FIVE - TRUST FALLS

ANXIOUSLY RAISING A CIGARETTE TO HER LIPS, Cassie patted her pockets down furiously in search of a lighter, an almost relieved sigh escaping her lips upon finding one.

The streetlights' yellow glare beamed down harshly on the brunette, amplifying the anxiety swarming her chest. It felt as if she were on a stage, spotlights burning into her skin with every action, as if her life was a never ending tragedy.

Of course, the audience it seemed would only stare as the girl began to spiral, studying the way she dealt with each and every inconvenience. By now, Cassandra had began to think she was part of some sick game. She couldn't live like this, she wasn't strong enough.

Why did it have to be her?

The youngest Cohen was not scared of death, by any means. There were moments where she longed for the day her heart stopped, but whenever the time was to come, the brunette was morbidly certain that when the reaper came knocking, she would accept deaths embrace with open arms.

Frankly, there were times where she did not want to live. She used to want nothing more than to take a few pills and close her eyes for a final time. Aside from Jonathan and her own mother, perhaps her boyfriend, not once did the girl think she'd be missed. People may mourn, some acting as if they cared at all, but within a few weeks, she was adamant most of them would forget, her name fading into nothing but a distant memory. Now her entire life had changed, Cassie didn't believe there was truly anything to live for, and yet her reaction to the beast had utterly thrown her off her focus.

And so now, when faced with the very proposition of ending it all, why then did she run in the opposite direction?

Interrupting her thoughts, the sound of tyres rolling over tarmac pricked at her ears, watching as a burgundy BMW pulled into her peripheral vision. "Cassie?"

Steve Harrington squinted his eyes, resting his hand over his steering wheel as he watched the girl trudge down the street, alone. "What the hell are you doing? It's like, one thirty?!"

Oh, great.

She flicked the spark wheel of her lighter, refusing to acknowledge the boy. She sighed in frustration on her fourth failed attempt, instead taking the cigarette between her fingers to speak. "Go home, Steve."

Her tone was supposed to be irritated, cold, but the boy couldn't help but notice misery behind it.

"No hold on. Why are you out here?" He asked, brows furrowed as he leaned his elbow on his door, head peaking out of the car window. "Hey don't ignore me! Cassie!"

She flipped him her middle finger, coming to an abrupt stop in her step upon realising he wouldn't leave. She inhaled deeply in an attempt to compose herself, and with her, Steve's car stopped dead in its tracks. "What do you want, Harrington?!" Cassie snapped.