The little betrayal

FLORA'S POV
    Days after my dad made that shocking announcement, I tried to talk to both my parents to postpone it until I'm sure Jake is the right guy for me but they assured me that I could never find someone better than him and that they are very sure he's the right man for me. My dad had asked me to trust him and give Jake a chance. After much consideration, I decided to fulfill my duty as the only daughter of my parents by granting their wish. It was hard but I tried time and time to convince myself that Jake will make me happy. I thanked Melvin and asked him not to do anything anymore as I've agreed to get engaged to Jake.

    A week to the engagement, mum and Mina had taken me out for shopping. They were still buying gifts when I decided to take a break, I was on my way to the restroom when I bumped into Jake. 'Flora! What's up?' He asked surprised.
' 'I'm fine thanks.'
' 'I'm guessing you're taking a break off shopping yeah?'
'Yes..'
'Well..I am too,would you love to have ice cream with me?' He asked
'Sure.' I quickly texted Mina to inform her.

At the ice-cream café, we were having a good conversation when he asked if I feel the same way as he does. I told him I don't and to my surprise he wasn't offended, he thanked me for being honest before saying  ' most couples don't have mutual feelings before marriage here in Kempire. For example My mum didn't love my father before marriage and look, today their love for each other keep growing stronger.'  I only smiled to that but deep down in my heart, this ancient concept about marriage just don't sit well with me. We parted ways afterwards as I joined my mum in picking nice gift.

     Day after day, I silently prayed that this day won't come so fast as I buried myself in work day and night but it's here now and there's no escaping. I stood in front of the mirror for minutes looking at my adored body. From the make up to the accessories and to the outfits is just a complete work of art. A complete work of art that screams I'm ecstatic with a heart that's hurting because it yearns to love and be loved.

Mina came in to take me downstairs where all the guest are now present. As we joined them, Jake came close to stand by my side, he whispered 'you look gorgeous.' I smiled and looked away. Instead of butterflies in my stomach, I feel like roaches are crawling on the walls of my stomach. Soon the ceremony began. We exchanged rings, people cheered and congratulated me. There were lots of celebrations, dining  and of course a guest artist. Nigerian popular musician Davido. He was singing... 'love is sweet oo, when money enter love is sweeter' when Jake asked if I would love to join him on the dance floor, which I politely refused. Indeed it was a glorious day and all the guests had so much fun. It was announced at the ceremony that the wedding would take place the following month. Melvin didn't attend the ceremony and I can't help but wonder if he's okay.

After the ceremony was over, I called Melvin but his number wasn't going through. The next day, I overheard Mark's conversation with my dad. They needed two representatives from the mine to go on a business trip to Gowland. Gowland is a neighboring state, it's a 3 hours drive from Treshland.
'I will go' I said as I interrupted.
'Are you sure?, you've been so stressed out lately.' My dad said.
' It's fine dad, I'm the director remember...so I will have to go.'
'Okay dear. So will you join her on this trip?' My dad asked Mark.
' No, Melvin already agreed to go..I will inform him that Flora will be joining him right away. Flora your flight is 8am tomorrow so be prepared.' He said as he took his Leave.

I got to the airport before 8am the next morning. I've always wanted to visit Gowland but I haven't been able to due to my schedule. I promise myself that I would definitely tour the city once I finish my task. I was in the waiting area when I sighted Melvin, I waved at him so he could see me. On the plane, our seats were next to each other. I sat beside the window as the plane took off. He didn't say anything throughout the journey, I decided to maintain my silent too but changed my mind afterwards.
'Are you okay?' I asked
'Yes, I'm okay' he replied without looking my way.