Happy birthday Melvin

FLORA'S POV
   The next morning, I followed Mina to my parents bedroom. My mum was taking her drugs when we got there. It really breaks my heart seeing my mum in this condition.I can't help but wonder what Mina has in mind, I just hope it's not one of her crazy ideas.
'Uncle and aunt listen, Flora just told me something that I think you would love to hear' she said with a huge smile on her face.
'Well tell us then' dad replied.

'Flora said she's prepared to get married. She's on the lookout for a suitable groom for herself'
'Really' my mum jumped up in excitement
'Yes aunt, she also said in the main time, you can also look for a suitable groom for her just in case she doesn't find one on time.
'Is Mina telling the truth?' My mum asked me.
I faked a smile and played along 'yes mum, I'm ready. You know what I like so I think I would gladly accept anyone you choose for me'

'This is the greatest news ever my dear' my mum said as she kissed my forehead. 'I will prepare your favorite dish today' she said as she exit the room.

I looked at my dad who is now looking at me suspiciously. 'What's the problem dad?'
'Did you make this decision under any sort of pressure?' He asked me.
'No dad, I'm not under any kind of pressure' I lied.
'Well I must admit that I'm extremely happy that you want to settle down now. Don't worry,I will be sure to assist your mum in searching for a suitable groom for you'.
'Thanks dad.'

Back in my room, I couldn't help but wonder if I'm doing the right thing but I can't risk my mum's life at the expense of my own happiness.
'But what if they find a groom for me before I find someone I love?'
'Don't worry Flora, it will take months before they would find one so just calm down'
'Alright'

             ******************************

                            MELVIN'S POV
    Woke up on Monday morning feeling great. My first week as the manager of the mine was hectic but I love it especially the fact that I get to work with my childhood friend. We met many clients and hang out after work. On Thursday we were hanging out at Viva's place when I bumped into Lena. Lena is my distant cousin who I haven't seen for years now. She's a successful business woman and a tv host.
'I am so mad at you Melvin' she said glaring at me. 'You've been in the city for more than a month now but you didn't even spare time to come see me. That's so unfair'.

'I'm sorry, I've got a lot on my mind but I promise to make it up to you'
'Hmmm, you know I have an idea of how you can make it up to me' she said with a mischievous smile.
'What are you up to now?'
'Okay, if you're really sorry and wants to make it up to me, then be a guest on my show tomorrow'.
'What!, I can't. Besides I don't know how it works or what to say'.
'No one does silly, you don't have to think of what to say. I will give you a script. You only need to memorize your lines before the show'
'Okay' I agreed.
    On Saturday before the show, Lena gave me a script so I could memorize my lines. I didn't like the lines but I didn't want to disappoint my cousin so I did it anyways.

After breakfast fast I realized that I was running late so I quickly took my leather bag and heed to my car only to be stopped by my nephew Joel.
'Uncle' he called out to me. 'dad and grandpa left for work early this morning. Would you drop me in my school on your way to work?'
'Okay get your bag and meet me downstairs'
'Thank you uncle' he said enthusiastically.

After dropping Joel at his school, I drove straight to the mine. Thank goodness there was no traffic today.
In the elevator, the door was about to close when I saw Flora so I held it for her to get in and to my surprise she entered and didn't even say "thank you". I mean courtesy demands you say thank you when someone help you with something.
I pressed the last floor on the elevator button. I decided to break the silence as I greeted 'good morning' only to get a 'morning' in return from her.
I wonder what's wrong with her, does she have mood swings or something because I feel after the incident that took place last week, we should be cool with each other.
I cleared my throat and decided to invite her to my birthday party coming up this Saturday.
'My birthday is this Saturday so...' she cut me off before I could finish. ' Happy birthday in advance'
'Thanks but...' again she cut me off but this time she was glaring at me when she said 'I already said happy birthday or do you want me to use a microphone to say it again?'.
Thankfully the elevator door opened and she made an exit in a grand style leaving the confused me in the elevator. 'I'm sure something is wrong with her' I thought to myself.
I had so many files to go through and I also need to sign some documents. I quickly started with the most important ones. By the time I finished, I took a break and decided to say hi to  Mark. On getting to mark's office, I found him having a conversation with Mina.
'Hi Melvin, mark was just telling me that your birthday comes up this Saturday' Mina said enthusiastically as I join them.
'Yes, my family is throwing a party so you are invited'.
'I will surely be there. Thanks for the invite' she said with a huge smile.
At least she's not annoying like her cousin.
'So what brings you to the mine?'
'Well, Flora left home without having her breakfast so I came here to remind her not to skip lunch.' She replied.
'Why didn't you just call her number?' Mark and I asked in unison.
'Ohh..I guess I should have called instead. Anyways I'm happy I came.'
Interesting, one is annoying while the other is weird. I remembered Flora told me mark is into Mina so I figured Mina probably used coming to remind Flora not to skip lunch as an excuse to see mark. I excused myself to allow them carry on with their discussion..