Chapter 11: Map and Compass

Start from the beginning

My heart is breaking. What did my brother ever do to deserve this?

I sighed sadly.

"I can't go, papa. I'm helping someone to manage some paperworks over here." Tsukasa-senpai, sorry for using you as an excuse.

"A friend?" Papa asked, incredulous. "Who is she?"

"It's a him, papa." My father's eyes held doubt as he looked at my golden eyes with his.

"Oh, you finally have a boyfriend dear!" mom cheered, clapping her hands together as if that's the greatest news she heard all day.

"Does everyone in this family always have to assume my friend is my boyfriend just because he's a boy? Stop being ridiculous," I remarked, utterly annoyed.

They all shrugged.

"Well, if you ever both change your minds, just come over. Your mother and I will here for a month and a half. Let's have a little bonding soon, okay?" my father told us before leaving with my mom.

Well, spring festivals was a waste. I couldn't escape my family issues.

...

"Ni-ssan?" I called for my brother after a day of school at our home. "Are you home or with your girlfriend again?"

"For the last time, Rindou-sama is not my girlfriend, Cat!" He suddenly appeared with a towel wiping his wet hair after what appears to be a shower.

"Yeah, yeah." I laid my bag down on the floor and flopped down on the couch.

After a few moments of staring at the ceiling, I turned around to Hiroto. "Let's hangout!"

"What?" He handed me pizza which means, this is our dinner.

"I said let's hangout. You're always busy and I'm becoming busy too. I wanna spend time with you," I repeated after taking a huge bite of my pizza.

"Awe, does my imouto miss me?" He teased and then took another slice of pizza from the kitchen counter.

"What if I do?" I replied unexpectedly.

"Ohh? You do? You sure you're my sister?" He furrowed his brows.

"Yes. Quit being a drama king. I wanna play games and paint with you. No Rindou-senpai today." I muttered as I crossed my arms, puffing my cheeks.

"Are you jealous of her?" He chuckled.

"Why do you always spend time with her? I only looked forward to coming here because I wanted to spend time with you but it turns out you have someone else to spend it with."

"Awe, how cute." He stood up and jumped. "Well, what are we waiting for? Christmas? Stand up! Let's go to the arcade then we can paint laterwards."

I grinned in delight. Finally, some time off with my favorite person.

...

After hours of playing at the arcade, we went home. We had to buy dinner again because we were hungry which led us to cook together and make simple fried chickens.

We had a food fight that made our kitchen become a total mess before finally being able to clean up the whole area and ourselves and start painting together.

"What are we painting?" my brother asked after we sat down outside at the grass to paint.

"Anything. It can even be Rindou-senpai," I chaffed him, giggling as he gave me scowl.

"Why do you always say I like her or that she's my girlfriend? You've got to stop that," he said, irritated as he paint on his canvas.

"I'm your sister. I'm your best friend. I see the way you look at her. I know you know you like her, Hiro," I said seriously, brushing light strokes at my canvas.

He was silent for a moment before he responded to me. "I know. I've known that ever since second year."

"Then why don't you confess?" I questioned him, confused. "You're usually brave for that kind of thing."

"Hah, I don't stand a chance. She told me before. She cooks with Tsukasa and that's the reason why she cooks. That gave me the whole idea she likes him. I'm already satisfied with being able to stay by her side and serve her as if she can truly be mine."

I stared at my brother sadly. "And you're okay with that?"

"Do I have the right to not be? She can't control how she feels. Just like how I can't control how I feel."

I put my paintbrush down as tears welled up in my eyes and I didn't manage to look away fast enough so Hiroto noticed me.

"Cat, why are you crying? Did I say something wrong?" He quired, worried for me so he stopped painting.

"I-It's not fair. I-I want you to be happy! Why does destiny seem to hate you, Hiro?" I said stuttering, genuinely frustrated and sorrowful for my brother's stead.

"Hey, don't cry for me." He wiped my tears away and hugged me.

"I can't help it. I feel like all your problems stem from me. If I wasn't born, dad and your mom could've been together. You know he loves her. You could've had a complete family...but instead..."

Hot tears built in my eyelids and they fell to Hiroto's shoulders.

"Stop feeling that way, okay?" He removed himself from our hug before meeting his round rubbies with my gold crying ones.

"I rather have an incomplete family than not have you. You're not just my sister or my best friend if you didn't know. You're my compass. I know my way through life because all my life all I have wanted to do is to make sure you are happy and protected. So, it doesn't matter. Nothing matters because you're here." He gave me the most genuine smile he had ever given me and kissed my forehead. "And my relationship with Rindou has nothing to do with you. So don't worry about that."

"Now, let's continue painting. I want to paint something about the skies. They look so bright tonight, don't they?"

Because of his reassurance, I felt all the heavy feelings that built up since yesterday when our parents came here fade away.

The world has always been unfair to my brother. Even before he was born, people already hated him and when he was born, people scorned him, especially when I was born.

That's why I made it my own personal mission to make sure my brother will become happy, even if it's not through our family.

If my brother sees me as his compass then, he is my map. Without him, I don't know where to go. So, I'll always stay by his side forever.

"Here, my painting's finally done. Don't compare it to yours though. I'm shit at this!" He sneered.

I looked at his painting, tilting my head as I inspect it. "Is that us?"

"Yeah! Cool concept, right? You're the light and I'm the dark. We tend to contrast each other but we still make each other work." He smiled, happy with his work.

"Isn't more like you're the light and I'm the dark?"

He shrugged, not caring.

Then, I showed him my painting afterwards. A painting of an eclipse.

"Great minds think alike, huh sis?" My brother chuckled as he put our paintings beside each other.

"Yeah. It truly does..."

...

I have no idea if this is cringe. I just wanted to have a chapter that really focuses on how strong their sibling bond is. It's something I've always wanted to have so... (Sorry for blabbering) 😭

Thank you all so much for over a hundred reads!! Didn't expect to make it 'till there. Um, I'll end it here. Thank you for reading! <33