Chapter 4: A New Place to Call Home

Start from the beginning

"Doctor?" Jekyll looked at Mr.Griffin at the Doorway. "Seward!" Jekyll got up from the bed he sat. "How did it go? Did you find them?" He asks him. "Yes." He sighed, "However, Jasper's body was found in the woods too close to the town. We had some help from the people that worked at the funeral home. They were able to get his and successfully Rachel's in the bumpy roads deep in the forest, along with the driver. Their bodies will be cleaned before they can be in their caskets."

"I see. But what about her stuff?" "We're working on that. I was able to get some of her stuff safely from the road. Including an instrument." Seward said. "An instrument? What kind of instrument?" He questioned. "An instrument that, I'm not sure what it is."

"There. All clean. Now you wouldn't have to worry about having to get yourself dirty." Robert had just finished giving her a bath and started drying her off with a towel. "Um...Uncle Robert?" "What is it?" He said. "What was my mommy like when she worked here?" Robert was amused by that question.

"Your mother...was quite a person. She was the cook and the Day Manager for the society. She had quite the strength during the attack 7 years ago, your step-father Jasper told me. And Maybe, you might have her strength and cooking skills one day." He replied. "Why?" She asked. "Because, when a babys' born, they have their mother's and father's personalities, skills, and hobbies. Or somtimes it's the opposite. But I wonder, will you be able to have your father's skills?"

Iris was confused. What did he meant by her 'father's skills'? Robert sighs, "Oh well. I'm almost done. Just have to brush your hair and then put you back in your bedtime clothes. Keep the towel covered on your body." Robert sats her down on the stool, grabs a hairbrush, and brushes her hair. "It's already nighttime?" Iris said. "Well it can't be daylight all the time." He replied.

Soon, he finished brushing her hair, sets her back on the floor, and puts her bedtime clothes on her. "Wow Robert, you're already spending time with her?" Someone at the doorway asked. "Oh, Mr Sinnett. What are you doing here?" Robert asked as he stood up. "I'm here to remind you that you have someone to talk to." Sinnett said.

"Is it my father?" Robert asked with a look of annoyance. "Umm no. It's your wife." Robert sighs, "Just tell her that I'm busy. Busy helping our little niece for her bedtime." Robert smiled as he hugged her which made her giggle. "It's important. And speaking of bedtime, Dr Jekyll is in your room waiting for you, Iris." Robert finished the hug and went out the room to find his wife. "Also...It so great to see you living here!" Mr Sinnett happily walked out of the room.

Iris gets out of the room and walks back to her room, but stopped when her rabbit ears picked up a sound. She turned around. So...confused and curious. It was coming behind her. "Bubbles?" She said. So she followed to where the sound was coming from. She stopped. In front of her were two huge doors. She puts her ear on one of the doors. The bubbles were louder. She knew they had to be in that room she's never been in. Something was making her want to open the doors.

"Iris?" Someone's voice made her turn around and...it was Henry. "What are you doing?" "U-Uncle Henry! I-I just wanted to! I-" "What gives you right to get into my office?" Jekyll questioned. Iris knew she couldn't lie in front of her new uncle. "I just wanted to see what was in there. I'm sorry Uncle Henry." Iris said in shame.

"Oh Iris." Jekyll pats her head, "My office is only for my work and for studies. When the time comes, I will show you to my office, and maybe that would make you happy." Jekyll reassured her. "Come now. Let's get you to your room. It's getting ever so late." Iris followed Jekyll back into her room, but stopped when she saw...

"My wheelharp!" She shouted. Iris ran to her wheelharp and hugged it. So happy that it wasn't damaged. "A wheelharp? Is that what that is?" He questioned. Iris nodded excitedly, "It was a gift from Jaspy." Iris responded. I'm guessing she's referring to Jasper. "Well, maybe in the morning you can play it. For now, it's bedtime." Jekyll said. Iris understood by that and got herself in the covers. "Uncle Henry," she said, "can you sing me a song?"

"Why would you want that?" He asks her. "Mommy used to sing me a song every night. I can hear her voice echoing in my head. Please Uncle Henry?" Jekyll gave a warm smile. He knew what he had to do. "Of course Iris. If that makes you happy, I will be glad to take in your request." Jekyll turns the light off, and he begins to sing.

♪Lost in the darkness, silence surrounds you.♪
♪Once there was morning, now endless night.♪
♪If I could reach you, I'd guide you and teach you.♪
♪To walk from the darkness back into the light.♪
♪Deep in your slience, please try to hear me; I'll keep you near me till night passes by.♪
♪I will find the answer.♪
♪I'll never desert you.♪
♪I promise you this till the day that I die...♪

It was at that moment, Iris was fast asleep. Jekyll smiles and gives a kiss on her forehead. He walks out of the room. Before he closes the door, he quietly says, "Goodnight Iris."