"okay! i'm ready!" he looked over to her and waited for the ball. y/n carefully threw the ball into the air and akaashi hit it over to the boy for him to set.

"come on! you got it!" akaashi encouraged. "just set it, don't aim for a specific spot. we can work on that later."

the volleyball touched the tips of the boy's fingertips and he sent it up into the air. the ball landed not that far away from akaashi which was a big achievement.

"i did it!" the boy cheered and spun around to look at y/n and akaashi who were also cheering for him. "can we do that again?"

and they did. the three of them were switching positions from time to time so everyone got a different spot. it wasn't until the parents of the kids came did they stop.

"i had a lot of fun!" the boy jumped up and down next to akaashi while looking up at him in admiration. "and it was super nice having two people help instead of one!"

"yeah? we'll see you again another day and you show us your amazing volleyball skills then, alright?" y/n ruffled his hair and he smiled up at her.

"okay! see you two later, thank you again!" they both watched as he ran off with his volleyball under his arm to his mom.

"cute kid." akaashi said and looked over to the girl next to him.

"yeah, he improved a lot today." she answered kicked her feet against the ground. "you helped him a lot. it helps having a setter to help teach."

"wanna grab the coffee now?" akaashi resisted the urge to wrap his arm around her shoulders. it was so casual before, but now it seemed like there was an invisible barrier between them that he couldn't cross.

"yeah sure." y/n walked over to konoha to tell him to head back to the apartment while she went with akaashi.

the group of four spilt ways and akaashi suddenly grew nervous. this wasn't the first time he was alone with her after he came back, but it was the first time that he actually invited her and not just run into her randomly.

"do you have your wallet?" he asked. "cause i can pay this time." he started to reach into his pocket, but y/n stopped him by grabbed his arm.

"you're still not paying." she started to speed her walk up and akaashi noticed. he also started to speed up and it wasn't long before they started to race to the coffee shop.

"you're not slowing behind just to let me win are you?" she looked over her shoulder at akaashi and grinned. "come on! i remember you being faster than this."

he was laughing as she ran after him and didn't care that she might actually be mad at him. he knew she wasn't though. he slowed down after a bit and let her catch up to him only to turn around and pulled her into his chest.

"you've caught me, now what are you going to do with me?" he whispered into her ear while brushing his thumb over the mark on her neck.

"i think i went out of shape cause there wasn't anyone to chase me." he replied and y/n's grin grew. they were both too busy looking at each other to see the person walking towards them.

"hey y/n." a guy stopped in front of her and grabbed her arms to keep her from running into his chest.

"oh, hey." her grin slipped from her face and she glanced back to akaashi who slowed down to a walk.

"you heading to get coffee?"

"yeah." she grabbed onto akaashi's shirt and dragged him forward. "this is akaashi keiji, my.. friend."

"cool." the other guy looked over akaashi. akaashi could easily see that he wasn't as muscular as him and he was a little shorter too.

but it wasn't the difference in the looks that caught his attention. it was the nagging question of who this guy was.

"i'll see you around." y/n hurried out and continued dragging akaashi into the coffee shop. they both walked to the counter in silence.

they got their coffees and sat down at their table. "so... who was he?" akaashi broke the silence first.

y/n sucked in a breath before answering. "i met him at the coffee shop a few months after you left." akaashi felt a pinch in his heart.

"you two are dating?" he shoved his emotions down the best he could.

"no." relief ran through his entire body. "we went out a few more times, but he just wasn't right, you know? my parents didn't even like him and they usually like everyone."

"i bet your parents don't like me right now either." akaashi felt saddened by the thought of those two. he liked them and felt comfortable with them, he felt comfortable with her whole family.

"no, they don't. mom asks if i know how you are every few months and dad was looking out for your book release." y/n kept her eyes down on the coffee cup. "even lana asks where my kaasi went."

akaashi's eyebrows raised at the word "my" but didn't comment on it. "oh really? i wanna see them again. get back onto their good side."

"just buy my mom her favorite chocolate and she'll be happy. then dad will be happy cause she's happy." y/n shrugged. "they're easy to please, you just need a good start."

"chocolates." akaashi nodded and tucked that information away. "got it. what about you?" he asked and made the girl next to him look up in surprise. "anything to get back on your good side?" his foot lightly nudged hers under the table.

"you're back." she answered after a few seconds. "and it's up to you if you want to stay, but if you decide to leave again, please don't leave me in the dark and tell me a day before."

akaashi reached across the table and grabbed her hand in both of his. "i will never say this enough, but i am deeply sorry for the way i left things before." he bought her hands up to his mouth. "and i mean it, i want to come back."

"and you aren't just coming back for me, right?" she checked.

"i love you." the three words slipped out so easily. "and i've missed you terribly, but i also miss my friends, and this whole place." he placed a kiss on her hand. "but you make up about seventy-five percent."

"damn, only seventy-five?" she teased and looked down at their hands. "i'm glad you're coming back. did you like the other city you lived in?"

akaashi let go of her hand, but hooked his pinky around hers. he's been wanting to do that ever since the night in the park, but right now felt like the perfect moment.

"it was good, but not for me." he replied. "didn't have the right coffee shop or the girl in the coffee shop." y/n bought the cup up to her mouth to hide the growing smile on her lips. "i also missed that a lot."

"what? you flirting with me?"

"no, well- yes. but your shy smiles." he looked at her mouth when she bought the cup down, but looked back up to her eyes when she started talking.

"yeah, i missed it when you would blush all the time when we first met. remember when you thought i didn't recognize you the second time?"

"you walked right past me, i had the right to think that."

hours passed by, people entered and left, the sun started to set, and employees began ending their shifts, but the two people at the one table never stopped talking or made a move to leave.

people watched subtly as the girl talked about something nonstop and the boy would stare at her in admiration. then the boy would laugh and the girl would stop talking for a second and gaze at him.

it didn't take a genius to know that these were two people who were extraordinarily in love with each other.

they just needed some time.

~~~
emails i cant send <3