Distractions Make Life Easier

Turned out that the need to distract Uhl wasn't necessary other than slowing him down with a time spell. Once she knew Jim was in the room, she teleported right outside and ran in, followed closely by Uhl. She had barely had enough time to open her book to pretend she had been reading.

After getting no confession from anyone, even after grilling both Eli and Angel (the former less calm than the latter), he took them to where the fight happened. The lockers were still bent and broken, but now had red spray paint. She didn't do that and Jim definitely didn't. She'd ask Claire who did later, Angel decided as she went home.

Angel had half a mind to not tell Douxie the extent of the Gunmar threat, truly. But after the Zoe thing and the way he reacted after she withheld the Bular threat, and that she still wasn't talking about the fear she experienced when a pixie invaded her mind...

No, she wouldn't hide this from him. So, when she got home she waited for Douxie to get off a shift at the Cafe; when he did, she sat him down on the couch and told him the events in as much detail as she could. Including Jim going to the Darklands, the tribunal being in Trollmarket, being against Jim, and... that Gunmar was out and knew who they were. That he had threatened them directly.

"That's everything," Angel sighed. Douxie wasn't looking at her. His hands were laid out on his lap, damn near white knuckled with how hard he held his fists.

"I- I thought those heetlings were delusional," Douxie breathed, glancing to Angel. She didn't do much but put her hand on his. The touch normally would have calmed him. "So he really is out."

"Apparently," Angel chuckled humorlessly. But she soon sighed and gently turned his face to look at her, letting her thumb move back and forth. "Douxie, I'm sorry for not telling you Zoe was teaching me. I just needed to learn and you refused to.

"I know, it's only because you're scared of my breakdowns, but I promise- I'm OK. I wouldn't be a burden in a fight, but I guess, if you want I'll- mph!"

She was cut off by Douxie's soft and gentle lips on hers. It was the only time since their first kiss that he hadn't at least given her a warning. It felt desperate, like he was trying to get something across- like it could be one of their last. With Gunmar out and gunning for them, sorta pun unintended, it very well could be.

But if she were honest? She was relieved she didn't have to speak and returned the kiss almost as desperately. Their lips slid against each other wildly, almost sloppily. Angel's hand moved to Douxie's hair, her fingers locking in and pulling him close.

Again, the need for air was an insufferable annoyance. They pulled away but not far as Douxie let his forehead fall to hers. A spark was felt by them both.

"Please stop calling yourself that," he breathed. This close he could smell the perfume she sometimes wore. Japanese Cherry Blossom. He never would force her to wear it, but he'd grown to love it. "You are not and will never be a burden." He opened his eyes only to see that hers were screwed shut.

He wasn't a mind reader, but he'd seen that expression enough to know. She didn't believe him and, probably because she was kissing back just as fiercely, felt selfish. He removed his hand from her waist and used both to cup her face.

"I mean it, love," he whispered. Angel took in a shaky breath and slowly opened her eyes.

"I- I know. I know it, in my head." She pointed. "But I can't help but feel it. And-" She hesitated, but decided to tell him anyway. "I can't help but wonder, if only partially, that you may not feel... well, that you don't.. just..

"Look," she sighed. "I haven't had the best life, let alone love life. I dated a guy who was four years older than me in seventh grade who turned out to be a pedophile, I dated a guy out of shock, and you know about Savanna."