Chapter 4: The Blackwood Forest

Start from the beginning

"You know that thing?" Pinkpika gaped at the savage four-legged monster.

"Yeah, We fought it once before," said Boss, as he moved forward, bringing out his large golden shield. "Get ready guys! This guy ain't alone. They move with the whole bunch."

"Eh, can't we just skip this?" I asked "It'll just be pointless killings anyway."

I attempted to convince the others to spam "Run" since we wouldn't get that many EXP points killing these monsters anyway. Their level was much lower than ours. 

"And you know, I don't wanna murder Pika's relatives."

"Every animal you see isn't my relative, Senpai." Pinkpika pouted. "And how do you even mix wolves with a catgirl? Look how fluffy I am." She waved her furry tail up and down while jiggling her ears.

What the heck? That's cute. 

"Someone's getting cold feet." Shinji chimed in to mock me. "Heh, who's useless now?"

Tch... This guy never fails to annoy me.

The real reason was my stupid pride, to be honest. My new playstyle was not that great against a horde of enemies. After spending all the squad money to buy necessary items and practicing a whole month, coming out as weaker than before wouldn't really look good for me.

Getting no answer, he again added, "No probs, comrade. Let this big bro handle it for ya, hehe." Shinji stepped forward, joining Boss at the front line.

Soon hundreds of regular brown wolves gathered responding to Lykos' howl. Under the leadership of their king, the wolves slowly closed in, trapping us in a small circle.  We huddled together in the middle, unable to escape or use our full abilities. 

Beneath the moonlight, their bloodthirsty eyes, and teeth resembling Karambit knives glistened. Their unified howls shuddered our hearts every time as if the blood-curdling cries of agony tearing apart everything inside.

As the wolves stepped forward, we gradually retreated until our backs found the others. We couldn't look away from those bloody eyes. They would jump at us any moment now. 

Pinkpika, beside me, shivered, mumbling under her heavy breath, "We are gonna die just like that, not even reaching the gate?"

"What are you talking about?" Boss asked Pika from her other side. Then he shouted flashing a wide grin, "Guys, let the party begin."

Hikari aimed her bow upwards towards the sky and softly said, "Infuse Light element. Moonlit Fireworks."

After an immense amount of light gathered around her arrow, she shot it directly above our head. 

Free from Hikari's grasp, the arrow soared high into the sky, shining brighter than the full moon. Soon after, true to the name, it exploded into hundreds of pieces of white light and showered down on the ground.

"What the fuck? it's coming down on us." Shinji yelled out, ready to jump into the horde of wolves, rather than take Hikari's skill head-on.

"Relax, I got this. You guys just keep the wolves at bay." Assuring Shinji, Boss held his shield up over his head and roared, "Shield of Dawn, awaken! Golden Ray of Hope!"