"—see her again?" Varian's voice finally pierced through his emotional fog, and the knight looked back at his nephew. Varian was standing motionless, his eyes glazed over from the reminder that he'd be facing the princess who betrayed him.

Crap. "Hey, look at me Var," he said gently, taking a step towards him. Varian blinked, then his eyes focused on his uncle. "You know your aunt and I aren't gonna let her even be in the same room as you, right?" he said, hoping to rekindle that fire he'd seen a moment ago. Varian gave him a brief, nervous smile, before frowning worriedly again.

"Of c-course," he affirmed. "I'm not really scared of her anymore, I guess I just...was sorta hoping King Edmund would say no," he explained, glancing away nervously and rubbing the back of his neck. "I still wanna join the Brotherhood, so if the princess isn't allowed to mess with the Moonstone, then...at least I'd know what my next move is."

Hector nodded and gave an understanding hum. "I wish he'd done that too," he agreed, stepping over and hovering his hand above Varian's shoulder. "I've spent almost my entire life keeping the Moonstone out of people's hands, and I can't fathom why Edmund would agree to try Adira's idea. I already told him what the Sundrop did to the Great Tree." As he spoke, Varian carefully pulled his ungloved hand down onto his shoulder, grasping it tightly with his own. One of his fingers traced Hector's Brotherhood mark nervously.

"Do you think...King Edmund made a mistake?" he asked quietly, almost reluctantly. He looked into Hector's eyes with a level of fear and vulnerability that the man hadn't seen since he'd first rescued him. His gut gave a strange twist.

Did Hector believe Edmund had made a mistake?

He thought for a moment, choosing his words carefully. "I think that...Edmund is trusting Adira a little too much," he finally replied. Varian tilted his head curiously.

"What does that mean?"

"It means...Adira's always been an idealist. And an optimist. Edmund is trusting her track record of being right in most situations, also the fact that she and I can both confirm the Sundrop's power." Hector shook his head. "But Adira's not perfect. I believe this is one of the rare times her instinct is off, and if I'm right, then we're opening up ourselves and the world to something immensely dangerous."

Varian's eyes widened fearfully. "C-can't you argue against the king's decision? You and Adira have some kind of, of, political power as the kingdom's highest ranking knights, don't you?" he demanded.

Hector gave a shrug, squeezing his nephew's hand. "I did what I could. It was ultimately Edmund's decision," he replied apologetically. "Look, let's not think too much about it right now. You wanna help me investigate whatever's setting the furbabies off, so get dressed and grab your weapons." Hector released Varian's hand and pulled on his glove, covering his Brotherhood tattoo. His nephew blew out a nervous sigh and nodded.

"Okay," he said, his voice and his gaze determined. Hector smirked proudly as he watched the boy prepare for the coming conflict.

His kid was strong. Stronger than Hector would have ever anticipated when they first met. He wanted to see that strength develop to its fullest potential, and if he had his way, he'd be the one nurturing it.

O‴O‴O‴

Adira met them in the hallway. She nodded grimly in greeting as she strapped on her forearm guards. "Morning, sleepyheads."

"Is it them?" Hector demanded gruffly, cutting straight to the point.

"It's them. They're trying to find a way across the ravine now."