All Your Answers will be Questioned Shortly

Trigger warnings: attempted murder, invalidating of emotions and circumstances, talk of dead people

----------------------

The doors creaked ominously as they swung open, a thick layer of dust flying into the air. Varian coughed and pulled his cloak up to cover his mouth. "Yeesh. When was the last time this place got cleaned?"

"Probably twenty-five years ago," Hector grumbled. "Stay behind me."

The bearcats trailed behind Hector, on either side of Varian. Ruddiger shivered from his place on his shoulders. Adira stepped close behind Varian, not crowding him but keeping him hemmed in. Her hand drifted to her sword. "He knows we're here."

Varian wrapped his arms around himself. "Is he... going to attack us or something?"

"Depends on what kind of mood he's in."

"That's encouraging." He reached for his dagger, but Adira put a hand on his wrist.

"Don't," she whispered. "Leave this to Hector and me."

The hall was dark, only the soft light from outside shining in and casting a long blue beam on the floor. Hector huffed, causing Artemis to ruffle her feathers. "Not like I expected a welcome home party, but he could've at least lit the torches." He reached inside his bag and grabbed a flint stone. "Have to do everything myself around—"

Metal screeched against metal as Hector unsheathed his sword to block the axe aimed at his head. The flint stone flew from his grasp and skidded across the floor. With his free hand, he shoved Varian further away. Snarling, he twisted away from the shadowy attacker, bringing his sword down on the handle of the axe. It shattered, the head dropping to the floor with a resounding clatter.

The hulking figure didn't stop, merely slamming Hector aside with a single fist. Adira charged forward and drove a kick towards the attacker's face, only for a hand to reach up and snag her ankle. Her opponent flung her across the room, slamming her into Hector, who had started to rise. Both of them tumbled to the floor again.

Varian scrambled back, sliding behind a pillar as Ruddiger tumbled from his shoulders with a loud yelp. He hadn't been seen, right? Was that the king?

Apparently so.

"Your Majesty!" Hector lunged forward again, only to jump back as a broadsword, seemingly appearing out of nowhere, cleaved the air between them. "Your Majesty, please, it's us!"

He dodged a blow, spinning and slashing at the king's side. Their opponent pivoted on his foot, blocking his attack effortlessly. "My king! It's Hector and Adira! Please listen!"

"We're not here to fight you," Adira pleaded.

With a roar, the king swiped at her again. She jumped back, and Hector took the opportunity to attack again. For not wanting to fight him, they were doing a decent job.

Artemis dove at the man, only for the crows from earlier to burst from a hallway and intercept her. The bearcats watched on helplessly, as if unsure how to protect their human without attacking the king.

Ruddiger chittered and swatted at Varian's leg. The raccoon held up the flint stone. Varian gasped and snatched his friend up. "Ruddiger, you genius!" His gaze darted frantically around, searching the walls... there had to be one... There! Jumping to his feet, he snatched a torch out of its bracket, setting it on the ground and striking the stone above it. Sparks leaped, settling around the torch, but nothing caught. Risking a glance over his shoulder, he grimaced as Hector was thrown against a pillar. The king had the advantage; he was trying for the kill, while Hector and Adira had to fight without hurting him.