Chapter 7 - The Art of an Ambush

Zhōng looked at her angrily, his eyes were raging and his mouth was sneering. He was clearly upset about the seal and the fact he die a year later. Anything she said other than what he wanted to hear would make him even more angry. "You die saving me," Princess Zhen finally replied. "Before that, you were captured and shortly I was too. You somehow broke out and helped me escape. But the pain from your injuries increased the stress in the mech you used, you shortly die after we got out." Tears begin to fall from her face as she remembered the memories of a broken boy laying on the base of a tree.

Zhōng turned away and looked back at the fire, his anger was still there as he took in the information. "Was father there when you were branded?" he asked as calmly as he could.

"Yes," replied Princess Zhen quietly, they sat in silence, watching the fire burn away. "So are you going back to your time?" she asked after a while.

"No, not yet, I have some unfinished business with that one in the black cloak." declared Zhōng.

"He calls himself Shadow, does that name sound familiar to you?" asked Princess Zhen.

"I have an idea who, but I can't say till we run into him again." said Zhōng.

"You're sure he'll be coming after us?"

"No, he already has what he wanted to know, now he can perhaps go after the empire."

"Why?"

Zhōng turned back to look at her, his eyes were calmer but the fire still dance inside them. "If he can make you confess, then why not tried to make others as well? He's going to use fear to get what he wants, he proved that to you and to me." he said.

"So what are you going to do?" asked Princess Zhen.

"What are we going to do," corrected Zhōng, "you know where the fortress is, I'm going to end them before their stronghold becomes untouchable."

"There's no way to stop them, their operations are underneath the ground and a lake nearby." stated Princess Zhen.

"I thought you would know me better, nothing I do is easy. But everything will crumble when I show up." stated Zhōng.

The next morning, the two went back up the waterfall where they found Princess Zhen's Roktavor. They travel west following the stars and rested during the day, they decided this to avoid being spotted. During breaks and when they stopped to get some rest, Zhōng taught Princess Zhen how to wield dual blades while Princess Zhen, describe Shadow's counterattacks to her attacks. It took them seven days, to travel east till they reach the fortress.

"So what is your plan on getting in?" asked Princess Zhen as they scan the fortress.

"What we're going to do is call an ambush, sometimes we'll have more men to do this but we're still going to surprise them." said Zhōng, he pulled out a grapple and when some guards passed, he chucked it over the wall. He free-climbed up as Princess Zhen used the rope to get up. Once up they quickly crept up to the guards and slain them before they could sound the alarm. They entered the tower, went up, and killed the guards posted up there. "In case, we're spotted, I don't want it to be from above." explained Zhōng when they finish. They went back down and entered the chapel, it was still in ruin since the last Princess Zhen was here. They crossed it and open the door that led down into the ground. Before they went down, Zhōng said, "You don't need to come if this is too painful for you."

Princess Zhen looked at the stairs that led down below, flashes of what happened played in her head before she shook her head to refocus. "No, I'm coming with you, you might need help."

"As you wish, princess. Once we're down at the bottom, I'm expecting resistance. Be ready for a fight." replied Zhōng, he drew his swords and led them downstairs.

The two walked carefully down, they heard no screams and it was silent when they reached the bottom of the staircase. The chamber was lit but there was no one to be seen. The equipment used for torture was gone and replaced with a flat bare floor. There was not even banging at the prison doors or groans coming from inside them.

"It's quiet," noticed Princess Zhen, holding onto her blades as they tread carefully.

"Too quiet, be on your guard." said Zhōng. He knew no one would just leave guards outside of a fortress without having someone be inside it. They continued to climb down more stairs till they reach the bare floor

Suddenly, the stairs pulled up, preventing them to get back up. "Welcome back, princess." stated Father Shí Huà, appearing from where they just were. "And Shadow's eyes are correct, welcome to our home, Former Prince Zhōng. This won't be the last time you'll be here."

"Where's Shadow?" demanded Zhōng.

"Did someone miss me?" asked Shadow appearing behind Father Shí Huà.

"No, just figure you weren't far behind." stated Zhōng.

"And yet you still fall into my trap." declared Father Shí Huà.

"Cause we know we can get out." stated Princess Zhen.

"We have nothing to hide, you know all about us." said Zhōng.

"Ah, but have you told him about your secret, princess?" asked Father Shí Huà.

"He found out after your little pet tried to kill me by dropping me off a waterfall." stated Princess Zhen.

"I am no one's little pet." declared Shadow.

"You did what?" asked Father Shí Huà.

"We know everything about her and him, we had no use to liars who took so long to speak the truth, father." stated Shadow.

"While that's true, how come you didn't finish the deed?" asked Father Shí Huà.

"Because he wants witnesses to prove a point and he knew we were coming, that is what I would do." stated Zhōng.

"What do you mean...?" stated Father Shí Huà before a black blade of a Longus stabbed through him. He fell to the ground as the blade slither out and Shadow stood over him.

"Was I that predictable?" asked Shadow.

"I'm surprised I still do that in a year." stated Zhōng.