Chapter 10

I was sitting on a bench in the park at midnight, breathing deeply. Someone sat down next to me. He wore a hat and sunglasses. I took out my pocketknife and put it against his neck. 

"What have you done with my sister?" I hissed. 

"Nothing. I just wanted to see what you knew about her. Considering she wrote a lot about you in her book."

"I'm Leonard," he said, putting out his hand. 

"And I'm dangerous if you don't tell me where Vanya is," I said, holding the knife even closer to his throat. He gulped. 

"Come with me, I'll take you to her."

"You better," I said, standing up, dragging him with me, the knife still against his throat. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got out the car, Leonard right behind me. He walked up the porch steps, I pushed my knife against his back. 

"No funny business, Leonard, or I'll gut you like a fish," I said menacingly. 

We stepped inside the house. I kicked the door shut. 

"Vanya?" I called worriedly. 

"Y/N? Oh my God, you're here!" Vanya rushed down the stairs, looking better than ever. 

"Vanya... Wha-- What is happening right now?" I asked, letting Leonard go. 

"This is my boyfriend, Leonard!" she said, hugging him. I stared at them, my jaw hung open. 

"Bu-- But-- But he--" I stammered, at a loss for words. 

"What? What happened?" she asked, smiling at Leonard. I couldn't do it. I didn't have the heart to tell her what it took me to be here. She seemed so happy. So much happier than she'd ever been. 

"Uh, nothing, we... we uh... we met at that... that um...," I started.

"Yeah, at my wood carving store," explained Leonard, lying through his teeth. 

Vanya smiled. "Great! I was planning on introducing him to our family some time later anyway."

I tugged on Vanya's arm. "Vanya, sidebar, please."

I pulled her into the kitchen, where I sat down on a stool. "Look, Vanya. To be honest with you, I don't trust the guy," I started. She looked at me with disbelief, then shrugged off my arm, hurt in her eyes. "No, you just don't trust me," she shot back, folding her arms. 

"No, look, let me explain. He's just.. I don't know. I mean, how long have you known him?"

"About 2 or 3 days," she said, her arms still folded. 

"Exactly, I mean, how much do you even know about him?" 

"Enough. And at least he cares about me. He actually talks with me about my life, my career. None of you talked with me for 16 years. 16 goddamn years, Y/N!"

"None of us were talking to each other, it wasn't personal Vanya," I hissed. 

"Well it was personal to me!"

"It's not my fault I'm not a socializer!"

"You're just jealous because I actually have a boyfriend that's alive!"

That word hit me like a truck. 

Alive. 

"Y/N... I'm so sorry. I didn't mean it." But I was already storming out of the room. Leonard walked over.

"Hey ladies, is everything all right?"

"Stay out of this!" I yelled at him. Then I leaned close to his face. 

"I don't like you. And if you know what's best, you will stay away from me and my family. Or I will destroy you." 

My words cut through the air like venom, before I grabbed my bag, and slammed the door shut.