Chapter II || Changes

The morning sun rays lit up Johanna's room, making her squint until her eyes adjusted

The morning sun rays lit up Johanna's room, making her squint until her eyes adjusted. She wasn't sure if it was her imagination or what but she heard the running footsteps of a small child making it's way to her room.

Her bedroom door bursts open, startling the half asleep girl.

"C'mon Johanna! Breakfast is ready!"  Her younger sister, Joy, screams while jumping on top of her making Johanna wince.

She lifted Joy off of herself, setting her down gently so that she could turn over to look at her alarm.

"Joy it's 8 o'clock in the morning?"

"I know but mom told me to come wake you up. Johnnys' waking Jesse up." Joy exclaimed in an excited tone, causing Johanna to chuckle.

She rolled off of her bed, turning to pick Joy up. The two sisters descended down the stairs and into the kitchen, where their mom was setting up the table.

Johanna sat down at the table, across from her father, the same feeling of dread starting to take over.

"How can someone be so happy about moving? You basically have to start all over." She thought as she poured herself a cup of apple juice.

"AH. Jesse stop!" Her little brother, Johnny's, voice screamed out. Johanna looked up to see Jesse chasing Johnny down the stairs and into the kitchen.

"I told you not to wake me up!" Jesse said causing his twin to chuckle. Which earned her a hard glare.

"Jesse leave your brother alone." Their mother snapped as she wiped her hands on her apron. Jesse let out a huff and sat down next to Johanna.

"So how did you two sleep?" The twins were asked as their mother set down pancakes in front of them.

"Just peachy." Johanna responded earning a chuckle from her mother.

"I was sleeping great until someone woke me up" her twin spoke up taking a bite into his food.

Johanna took a couple bites before looking to her parents.

"So what's the occasion?"

"What do you mean, dear?" Her mother looked at her with fake confusion etched on her face.

"I mean, we never get up this early. Plus what's with the pancakes? We never eat pancakes for breakfast." Johanna drilled her parents as she took another bite. The mood had shifted, the air was tense as her parents just looked at her without answering her questions. 

She knew the reason why, but she wanted to hear her someone say it.

"Can't you just say thank you and be done with it?You are teaching your siblings how to be ungrateful right now." Her father said placing his silverware down on the table.