ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝔽𝕠𝕦𝕣𝕥𝕖𝕖𝕟

Start from the beginning

"Section 2, paragraph 3, 11-4. 'A team will be comprised of a captain and eight men.' Mmm?" Chad said, showing Lonnie the rulebook, then turned to us holding it up to us. I rolled my eyes, snapping my fingers as his paper rulebook went up in flames. "What rulebook?" I asked, with a smirk. I heard Carlos laugh. "That's my girl." He said. Jane nudged me winking. I blushed looking down, but looked up again when Chad spoke.

"This one." He said, pulling another rule book from his other pocket. "Really?" I scoffed, rolling my eyes. "You should read the rulebook." Chad said, turning back to Lonnie. "Okay, yeah, but you're down a man. You know, since Ben had to leave to do all that king stuff." Lonnie argued.

"Exactly. We're down a man." Chad said, emphasizing on the word 'man'. "Jay." Lonnie slightly begged, switching her gaze from Chad to Jay. "I'm sorry. Coach trusts me. I'm not gonna stay captain if i just throw out the rulebook." Jay replied.

"If my mother thought that way, she would have lost the war." Lonnie snapped. Chad scoffed, laughing. "Okay." He mocked, causing Lonnie to roll her eyes and walk off. "Rulebook. Rulebook." Chad said, waving his second rulebook at Lonnie's back.

I snapped my fingers again causing Chad's second book to go up in flames. Chad squeaked, dropping his second rule book as he turned to me with a glare, reaching into his pocket again. "I swear Chad, if you pull out another fucking rulebook, I will light your ass on fire." I said, as my eyes glow purple. I saw Chad gulp as he pulled his hand out of his pocket. "I wouldn't test her. Once, when we were ten, she broke Evie's arm because she took one of her jackets." Carlos said. I winked at Carlos before looking back at Chad.

I gave him a smirk, as he put his hands up in defense. "All right, guys. Practice is over, let's go." Jay said. All the boys grabbed their gear leaving the room. Jane and the other cheerleaders left too. I turned to follow them When Carlos called my name.

"Mckenzie. Mckenzie, hey." he said, standing on one of the boxes, surrounding the room. "Hey, Carlos, what's up?" I asked, walking over to the edge of the balcony again. "Uh..." Carlos looked around the room as Dude jumped up onto the one next to the one Carlos was standing on. I smiled at the small fencing outfit Dude was wearing.

"Not much. You?" He asked. "Way too much. For some reason I have to help with all these decisions for Cotillion. Jane keeps asking what color this should be and how big that should be and I'm ready to rip my hair out." I sighed, leaning on the ledge of the balcony.

"I mean, we were gonna go with the blue and gold banner for Cotillion, but now we can't find the right shade of blue." I said, rolling my eyes. "Because apparently the shade of blue matters." I added, with a scoff.

"Oh, yeah. No, that's a bummer. Um, speaking of Cotillion-" "I know, right? It's all anybody is talking about. Cotillion 24/7. I mean, Mal's freaking out because apparently, and I quote, 'The Royal Cotillion is like getting engaged to be engaged to be engaged.' So I've been trying to calm her down. And I know we've never been to one before, but..." I let out a deep breath.

"Mckenzie, maybe we should just-" "skip the whole thing? I would if I wasn't Mal's Lady in Waiting." I said, before my phone started ringing. "Ugh!" I groaned as I noticed it was Jane. "I'm starting to not feel as bad for being the reason she was grounded." I said, showing Carlos my phone, earning a laugh from him.

"I gotta go. Great practice though. You were really good." I smiled, grabbing my bag. "Yeah." Carlos nodded, as I turned and walked away, answering my phone.

𝙲𝚊𝚛𝚕𝚘𝚜' 𝙿𝙾𝚅

"Hey, Jane." I heard Mckenzie, say in slight annoyance as she left. I then turned, looking at Dude. He whined giving me a look. "It wasn't the right time, all right?" I said, lifting my arm in the direction Mckenzie, just walked off in. "Come on, Dude. Let's go change." I said, hopping down from the box I was standing on.

***

I was sitting on my bed with my laptop. Dude was laying in his dog bed that I had moved to sit next to me. "How to ask someone to be your girlfriend." I typed into the search button. I then looked over at Dude. "I see you reading over my shoulder." I smiled, petting his head. I turned the tv on so it was playing the news.

I was really only watching...well listening to it because every once in a while Mckenzie with be mentioned or appear on the screen. The door to my dorm opened as Mal walked in. "Mal, Mal. Over here." A reporter asked, as cameras clicked.

Mal quickly shut the door, locking it. "Mal must be counting the days until the Royal Cotillion" The news reporter said. Mal then began breathing deeply as she paced the room. She then looked up at the tv, quickly shutting it off. She turned to face me as she took in deep shaky breaths.

Her eyes started to glow green as she took a final shaky breath. "Whoa. Easy, girl." I said. "What? You think this is so easy? You don't have people taking a photo of you every single time you open your mouth to say 'boo!' I mean, it's not that I could even say 'boo' but, you know what I me..." she trailed off, taking a deep breath to calm herself.

"I'm sorry. Is this what Mckenzie feels like?" I asked. "I'm not sure." she shrugged. "Carlos, don't you ever miss screaming at people and just making them run away from you?" she asked. I slightly scoffed. "You're thinking of my mother. And I was usually on the other end of that So, not really. No." I said, shaking my head.

"Oh, hey." I said, as I put my laptop to the side, standing up. "Did you bring it?" I asked. Mal sighed as she held up a small pink box. She was about to open it when we heard the door unlock. We looked over confused as Chad walked in. He quietly closed the door, after he made sure nobody in the hallway saw him. He turned around, throwing a key in the air and then catching it with a smug smile.

He then stopped in his tracks when he saw me and Mal staring at him weirdly. Dude slightly growled at him. "Hi." Chad nervously chuckled. "Just came to use your 3D printer. Won't be a sec." Chad said.

"How'd you get a key to my room?" I asked. Chad looked at the key in his hand with wide eyes. "Oh, I printed it off last time I was in here." He said. I looked at Mal still confused, then turned back to Chad.

"You guys were sleeping." He said, nodding. Unbelievable. That was the look I was giving Chad. "Look, I just...your printer's so much better then mine. And you installed these hacks. And everything runs so much smoother then mine." Chad tried to explain.

I pointed at the door. "Out." I said. Chad looked at me slightly hurt. "Now." I stated. "Fine. Fine." Chad said, turning to leave. "Chad." I said, causing him to turn back around. "What? Hmm?" he asked. "Leave the key." I said.

Chad nodded, with a slight pout. He held the key up, dramatically placing it on the table. He then left the room, slamming the door shut. I shook my head looking back at Mal. "Mal." I said, when I noticed she was spacing out. "Mmm?" She hummed, looking from the wall to me.

"My potion." I said. "Mmm. yeah. Um..." Mal opened the pink box, pulling out a red gummy. "So, this thing will make me say what I really feel to Mckenzie?" I asked. Mal smiled. "I think it's adorable that you like my sister." She said.

"But yes, this is a truth gummy, so...take it or leave it." She said, getting back on track. I nodded with a smile. "Perfect." I went to reach for the gummy but Mal pulled it away. '"hold on though." She said.

"Are you sure you want to be taking this? Because this is gonna make you say the truth all the time, no matter what. And the only reason that I'm asking is because I know that if I took this right now, I would get myself sent back to the Isle. Which, it's not that that sounds super unappealing but, you know..." she explained.

"Yeah. I'll take my chances, I guess." I shrugged. "Okay." Mal then let her hand drop to her side. Dude jumped off my bed eating the gummy. "Ooh! Bad dog." Mal said, as Dude jumped back onto my bed. I turned around facing him as he shook his head.

Mal gasped as Dude spoke. "Man, that thing was nasty." My mouth hung open as I looked at Mal shocked. "And you? You just gotta man up. And while you're at it, scratch my butt." Dude said. I was still shocked at the fact that Dude can talk.

"You heard him. Scratch his butt." Mal said before she turned heading for the door. "Mal. you're just gonna leave me with him?" I asked, as Mal shut the door behind her. I sighed, looking back at Dude. "Come on, you scratch your own all the time." Dude said. I sighed, rolling my eyes.

Word Count: 2160