Chapter 25: Wedding

Start from the beginning

"Do you think I will accept your resignation?" he said softly barely audible. From the corner of my eyes, I saw him sat back down in his chair.

"It's irrevocable," I replied nonchalantly.

"You're not resigning or I will force to liquidate all of your assets and your family still owe me a lot if I were to ask my accountant to assess all your assets in a payment of your dad's debt. It's not enough Nicki. Your dad will be behind bars if you insist on resigning. Don't force me to do things you will regret in the end," he explained flatly, but his tone dripping with a warning.

So there's no way I could escape from his control? What does he want from me? Does he want me to crawl at his feet and beg him to release us? I would never do such thing, over my dead body.

"Do you want my dad dead? Is that what you want Alex? Is that how much you hated him?" my eyes twitched in anger. I clenched and unclenched my hands. His eyes softened but he looked away after.

"You're working until the wedding is done and by then, you're free to go with your dad's company. And I won't ever bother you again!" he declared firmly. The last seven words made me light headed. Good riddance to me.

So this is what he wants. To help Annabel planning their wedding. I just realized that he loved her so much. My heart was twitching in pain. A month? Could I do it? This is like killing me slowly and painfully. But, I can't watch my father rot in jail. I just can't. He's the only one that I have.

"Alright. Then, I'll leave," I hesitantly agreed with a grave heart. I walked out of the room without looking at him. I was too hurt that I didn't notice his sad gloomy eyes following my back.

*****

ALEX POV

I wanted to tell her how much it pained me to see her walking away from me. My plan is to win her, but she always surprised me making me furious. The gap between us is too wide to patch it up.

Stupid Alex!

I wanted to punch myself for letting things got out of control. I felt a lone tear drip down my cheek. My heart was empty. I felt empty. I should have let her go since there's no chance of us coming back together, but I thought at least until I got married where there's no reason to see her around and make the pain unbearable.

I leaned my back and close my eyes. I imagined when we are still happy together. I could still feel her soft lips on mine. Her soft body pressing against my body. I wish I could turn back time where I'm free to hold her and kiss her and just make out. Make her mine.

"I love you, Nicki. I wish it's that easy to tell you. It's you that I want to be with for the rest of my life. It's you that I want my kids to call their mother. It's always been you that I want to grow old with," I mumbled like a fool.

What happened to us? I thought when you came back the love we both shared once will be resumed and will be together forever. Why did I let my jealousy ruined everything that I have waited for long to come and planned?

"Argh..." I groaned fisting my hair and banged my head on the table not bothering if it hurt or not. The pain of losing her was more painful.

The stinging tears well up around my eyes and I let it fall freely. My head resting on my palm with my elbows propped on the table. I felt so hopeless.

I groaned in frustrations. She doesn't have any idea how much her presence is killing me knowing I can't even hold her. So close yet so far.

I straightened myself and pulled my thoughts and feelings together. I cleaned the table with the kleenex that was placed on the edge of my table. I wipe the last tears in my eyes.