Chapter 7: The Race

"Racing is an escape from society. From symbols of status, and self-perception. A chance to just be. For everyone to just be, with each other."

― Erin Beresini 

Please Vote

Comment

And Follow me ...

............................................

Nikki POV

Spanish Oval Racing Track

It's Saturday and I'm so bored. Dad just came home last night. I don't have any schedule yet for martial arts since Cheng was loaded this week. And those two, Marvin and Gregory, haven't called me yet about the racing.

Well, my dad is here. Even if I got into the race, I probably won't make it there.

I was lying in my bed watching the ceiling absentmindedly. 

I should have just gone with Mara. I thought.

Crap!!

I've never felt so empty before. I missed my friends and family back home. There's never a dull moment of my life there as far as I remember. It seems that the time there struck faster than I thought it here.

Maybe, I'll just go to the mall and walk around instead of sulking here in my room. 

I swung my legs out of my bed and strode to the door thinking to go to the study where my dad usually is. 

I can always go anytime, but of course, even if I have that rebellious attitude I'm still a good girl. I don't know. It's like it's already innate in me that being good even if I wanted not to feel it most of the time.

I walk to the small corridor and stop right in front of his study. I knock as I sway my head side by side with the rhythm as I hummed mentally. 

There's no response behind the door, so I knock again. Still no response. I opened it slowly and he's not inside. His table was a total messed. I walked in thinking to clean his study. Maybe this is the best way to pass time instead of going to the mall. More productive maybe?

I walked to his table that was seated close to the big window glass overlooking the backyard. It's a clear glass where you can view from the inside but not the outside. It's the only part that gives light to the room. The whole wall was covered with shelves to hold the books, and cabinets built-in to the wall.

My eyes landed onto the brown polished leathered high-back chair where I used to see my dad sitting, his eyebrows furrowed while reading hefty loads of papers. When I come to see him, he always stops and gives me his fondest smile as he always opens his arms and hug me. Then, he will scoop me and let me sit on his lap.

"Papa, why do you always read those papers?" I asked innocently, staring on those loads of papers scattered around his mahogany table as I grimaced in displeased.

'They called it contracts, mi prisesa! he chuckled as he nuzzled his nose in my head and then he will tickle me." He will only stop when I screamed to stop and Selina will run to see me in the study worried written all over her face.

I heaved a long sigh. 

I wipe the lone tear that just rolled down on my cheeks. I missed those days. I just wished it stayed like that.

I shrugged off the nostalgic feelings that starting to envelops my system and started cleaning up my dad's office. I started picking up the crumpled papers on the floor and threw it in the bin sitting on the corner.