~Jealousy (Thomas)~

In this chapter, there is a kiss with Thomas, you may skip that part if you want the first kiss to be Newt because that's in a coming chapter. Thanks!

"'You're not ... her.' His voice, distant. A mere echo. 'You could never be her.'"

James Dashner, The Scorch Trials

╔══════════*.·:·.✧✦✧.·:·.*══════════╗

A screech from a small tunnel to your right made your ears perk. Then, a rat came out of the tunnel. Brenda let out a shaky exhale as the rat fell to the ground ungracefully.

It squeaked and squealed as it crawled around and then towards you. Brenda kicked it. "Ah... Jesus."

The rat crawled off and no more than two seconds later a hand reached out and grabbed it. A vines creature, attached to the walls, pulled itself from its roots. In a bone-chilling manner it ate the squealing rat from its hands as Brenda shone the flashlight on it.

Just then, another one of the creatures sensed it, and they all began running over, sniffing at the rat and fighting for it. You were scared, your legs locked in place as more than ten of the creatures appeared out of seemingly nowhere. Then, one of them came towards you from the other direction, it's mouth wide open and a weird goo glistening under the folds of vines and roots and possibly skin.

Thomas reached for Brenda's knife and slashed it across the face before running past it, you following behind.

It emitted a hoarse call, and all the creatures fighting looked up. Then, it looked back at you, and screamed. An awful, ear piercing screech that made your jaw clench. And you ran.

The flashlight beams flickered off of every wall, and you yelled many obscene things as you ran from those creatures.

When you reached the end of the tunnel, Thomas put his arm out to stop you from falling over the edge of a chasm. Two buildings leaned on each other higher up and Brenda seemed to notice.

"Come on, this way!" she shouted hurriedly. You looked down the tunnel to see a wave of the creatures, cranks, running after you. They emerged from the tunnel as you climbed higher and you swore you could almost feel their breath on your ankles as you tried to climb faster. The screams behind you were contorted in ways they shouldn't be if they were actually human. You climbed upwards through the rubble as a metal object flew down at you.

"Watch out!" Brenda called.

"A little late for that!" you said, groaning as you tried to force your body to keep moving. The adrenaline was kicking in though which gave you leverage over your incoming tiredness.

Then, a column collapsed as Thomas climbed through it below you. You managed to squeeze through and the cranks contorted their bodies in unnatural ways to try to do so as well.

You had made it to a leaning building. Brenda kicked a crank following you down the stairwell. as you climbed higher and higher, you could feel the leaning of the building. Brenda grabbed an old door's handle, her weight causing the door to swing open and she cried out as she fell. She landed on a glass pane almost parallel to the ravine below with a thud.

"Brenda!" Thomas yelled, as you stared in silent horror.

The glass had small cracks around where she was laying, this couldn't be good.