。forty nine 。

Start from the beginning

"ay, dios." adella mumbled.

"this is not good. really not good." steve murmured.

powell finished his report to the news and dustin's walkie-talkie crackled, "dustin, can you hear me? hopper?" it was eddie.

"eddie. holy shit." dustin swore. "are you okay?"

"nah, man. pretty... pretty goddamn far from okay." eddie answered.

"where is he?" robin asked.

"where are you?" dustin repeated her question to eddie.

"skull rock. do you know it?" eddie questioned.

"uh, yeah. that's near cornwallis and-"

"garrett, yeah. i know where that is." steve cut dustin off and they moved towards the car.

"hold tight. we're coming. we're coming." dustin assured.

the group got back out of the car when they got to some woods and started to walk through them, dustin giving directions. adella was holding her small bag of cassettes, assuming vecna would strike her at any moment in time. robin was at her side, their fingers linked as usual, arms swinging through the air between them. nancy was the other side of robin for some reason too.

"oh, my god, they're so adorable. i just wanna squeeze 'em, you know?" robin asked, referring to max and lucas who were chatting between themselves.

"mhm." adella smiled, glancing at max and lucas.

"if i'm permitted to see a silver lining in the end-of-the-world doom and gloom, it would be the rekindling of old flames that, frankly, never should've been snuffed out." robin mused and nancy looked to her. "i didn't mean that as a hint or anything."

"right." nancy scoffed.

"yeah, that's good, because you have jonathan." adella chuckled humourlessly and nancy glanced down.

"but would it be so terrible to wish happiness on my friends?" robin asked.

nancy scoffed again, "you think i'm not happy?"

"i-i'm sure you are. it's just, the other day, i mentioned jonathan and you sort of flinched or winced or something like-"

"i didn't flinch or wince." nancy cut robin off.

"okay." robin shrugged.

"jonathan and i are fine." nancy lied.

"got it."

"we're good."

"right."

"it's just... he was supposed to be here for the break, and then he backed out at the last minute for some vague, mumbly jonathan reason." nancy explained.  "and, to be honest, i'm not that surprised, because i've been feeling him pulling away. and i don't know if it's because we're 2,000 miles away or if he met someone new or what. and now i can't find out why because apparently he's blown up his family's house phone or something. so, yeah, if- if the mention of his name caused a slight muscle spasm on my face, that's... probably why."

"seems like a perfectly reasonable reason to flinch, wince, or something." robin mumbled.

"you said, 'happiness of your friends'. so does that make us friends? as in, officially?" nancy inquired.

"uh, yeah. i-i mean, right?" robin asked.

"right." nancy nodded.

"such bullshit." adella grumbled, shaking her head. she was never really friends with nancy but she didn't appreciate that fact she didn't even try and communicate with jonathan, something you need to do in a relationship, and she was leading steve on mostly out of boredom and steve was infatuated as always with her because of a flirty smile.