5. Of Goblins and Their History

Orri turned the pages of the history book carefully. It was an old book, and there were newer editions of it. This one, however, was a family heirloom, a century old and cherished.

"So many deaths..." he said, sliding his finger down the list of names. The earliest dated to the 13th century.

The woman at the reception desk glanced at him.

"Yes, it is sad. They were intent on killing us all. Always fearing us, even though we never posed any threat to them."

He nodded.

"The saddest thing of all is our broken connection with people. They forgot about us and if they saw us, they were afraid of our appearance, not as it had been in the past. Their religion taught them that anything that looked like us had to be the devil's servants at the very least."

The woman's fingers flew across the keyboard. Occasionally, she sipped herbal tea from a mug that bore the legend "Keep Calm and Goblin On". Then, finally, she sighed and closed the laptop cover.

"There. The bookkeeping is up to date for the day..."

She stood up, pressing her hands on her back.

"I think I'll go for a walk in the forest. We weren't made to sit by the computer all day long. Will you join me?"

"Yes. I think that's an excellent idea."

He got up and together they walked out of the cave, keeping their tails high so they wouldn't touch the ground. Goblin tails were surprisingly sensitive to touch.