2. Engaged to a Vampire

The three vampires standing out of reach of the pool of light cast by the reading lamp said nothing, even though an age seemed to have passed and still their companion feasted.

Finally, he straightened himself, his eyes closed in enjoyment, his mouth slightly open so the tips of his fangs were showing. He licked the last drop of blood from his lower lip.

"An exquisite aroma..." he said, still savouring the taste.

She lay on her back, her head turned to the side so that her neck was exposed and the fresh bitemarks were clearly visible. She continued to sleep heavily. They had ensured that she would. The other side of her bed was covered in books – one was open, with her right hand over it. The face of an ancient Egyptian statue stared at them from between her fingers. She had fallen asleep in the middle of her reading.

"Is she the one you were looking for?" one of the vampires in the shadows asked.

The vampire opened his eyes. The blackness was already receding, revealing the blue. He smiled – a leisurely, sated smile.

"She is, Tomas, she is. A Reader and a Writer, just as I suspected. What luck that I followed her to that bar. Not only will she be of immense use to me, but look at how beautiful she is! She will be an asset; and I'm about to make sure no one else will approach her."

He dug into his pockets and pulled out a ring. The vampires glanced at each other.

"Aaron... is that what I think it is ... a ring? You can't possibly be thinking of a betrothal... What would your father – our father..."

"I have always appreciated your loyalty, Tomas. But for now – stay out of my business."

A flash of deep red sparked as he admired the ring under the little lamp. The three other vampires exchanged glances.

"But surely you need the permission of our sire to get engaged..." 

Rage rose in the handsome vampire so quickly Tomas had no chance of escaping him. His hand was around Tomas's throat, his dilated pupils so close that their eyelashes touched. Tomas held his ground. He stared into the eyes emotionlessly.

"I do not need anyone's permission for my actions, brother. I am the crown prince. Father has told me many times I need a spouse fitting my status. I have now found her, and he will be content with my choice. None of our family has found a Reader and Writer before."

He pushed Tomas away and turned to the bed again. He slipped the big ring with its blood red ruby onto the ring finger of the young woman while the others stood by, stony-faced.

"With this ring, I betroth you. You belong to me. None other shall touch you. The ring of the Meri Clan is a sign of our engagement."

The young woman did not move, and her hand fell limply back onto the bed when he let go of it. She had short dark hair, long eyelashes and high cheekbones.

"She's barely breathing," the female vampire said. "Did you drink too much?"

The blond vampire listened for a while.

"I may have. Her knowledge was too delicious. It was irresistible."

"She may not survive," the third, male vampire said. "Her heart is already beating erratically!"

"So be it," said the vampire, sitting down on the bed.

The female vampire approached, pulling out a long strip of cloth. Her companion placed it under the hand wearing the ruby ring. The blond vampire cut his own wrist and then did the same to his victim. With skill, he pushed his wrist against the wrist of the young woman, and the female vampire quickly tied the cloth around their hands, so they were immobile. He sat by her bedside, his fangs still exposed. The temptation to continue drinking was strong, but somehow he controlled himself.

The young woman moaned in her sleep and tried to pull her hand away.

"Oh no, my darling," the handsome vampire said. "It may hurt for a while but being the wife of the crown prince will be worth it. You have no idea of the luxuries you're going to have as my wife."

"Not too much," Tomas said, "or her skills will be gone."

"Vampire blood won't distort these skills. She will lose them, and I will gain them, when the time comes to turn her," the crown prince said, "but for a while she will be of more use as she is. The things I want her to discover for me will be easier for her to find if she is not a vampire yet. That way, I won't need to wait too long for her to settle into her new existence. I have waited far too long already. It will be months before she calms down enough to function as a vampire – you all know that! I have plans, however. Big plans that need my attention urgently. I don't have the time to go looking for what I need. She will be the one who helps me."

At his nod, the female vampire quickly removed the cloth. The wrist of the woman was torn, but even as they looked, new skin began to grow over the cut. Not a drop of blood had fallen onto the bed.

"Let's not overstay our welcome," said the handsome vampire, opening the door to the balcony. He stepped onto the railing with perfect balance, his strong body silhouetted against the light summer sky, and jumped down without any sign of fear.

"What welcome?" the female vampire said. "There was no welcome, as we were never invited to enter."

Tomas said nothing, only gestured to the other male vampire. He followed the crown prince with an effortless leap. Tomas turned to look at the female vampire and spoke quietly.

"He has broken the rules of invitation – and of betrothal. The Meri ruler will punish him for that for sure, no matter how certain he is of his own value. Or how valuable the new bride is. It is about obedience first and foremost. However, thanks to him we now know of a Reader and Writer. She may be of help to us."

The female vampire sighed.

"Unless Aaron turns her before we have the chance to use her skills."

"We need to do our best to make sure she remains the Creature she is, then," Tomas said.

"The Healer Woman won't be pleased about this..." the female vampire said. "She is bound to hear about it sooner or later. The girl is her niece, after all."

"No, she won't be happy. But then, she should have taken better care of her," said Tomas.

"We'd better go," the female vampire replied.

They both jumped over the balcony railing as if there was no death.