1~ Another Day, Another Fight

Start from the beginning

There was a soft knock on my door. "What Demi?" I asked a little too harshly.

"I just came to tell you that your dinner is ready," She spoke.

"Nick and Viki?" I asked about my adoptive parents. Though I doubt parents is the right word. I haven't seen them since August.

"Gone again. They said they'd be back next week if something doesn't come up," She answered.

Something always comes up. Last week they were working in Beijing, for one of Nick's Galas. Now they're probably in London for some sort of fashion show for Viki's entertainment. Which doesn't last long. I should know, that's the whole reason I'm here.

I realized I hadn't said anything to Demi.

"I'll be down in a minute," I informed her.

"Okay," She said and I could hear her footsteps receding down the hallway.

***

I had to force myself out of bed the next morning. My muscles ached in protest for me to stay in bed all day. I almost gave in. It wouldn't have been the first time. I went for a light jog before coming back in.

Demi had my protein shake ready to go like always. I really didn't deserve her.

"Thank you, Demi," I kissed her cheek.

"Always dear," She smiled. Ethan was eating his eggs and bacon.

I ran upstairs and decided against a quick shower because I hadn't sweated all that much. I quickly changed into faded black jeans, a white T-shirt, and a dark gray flannel. I threw on some black vans and grabbed my backpack and phone before heading back downstairs.

I sipped my protein shake. Demi always knew how to make them taste good.

"Let's go," I told Ethan. He handed his plate to Demi. "Thank you, Demi."

"No problem dear. It's my job to take care of you," she said with a sweet smile. She was one of the very few people who I'm close to, probably because she raised Ethan and me for the past eight years, almost. She took care of me more than my adoptive parents.

"You deserve a raise," I told her. I kissed her cheek and I walked out to the garage, Ethan in tow. I finished the last bit of my protein shake and tossed it into the trash can. I grabbed my keys off of the rack. 

Ethan and I haven't talked since last night and the fight in the car. An awkward silence loomed over the car. I backed out of the long brick driveway. I turned out of our estate and started the ten-minute drive to school.

"I didn't mean to sound like a dick yesterday in the car. I was more than a little annoyed with Sam and I snapped," He said sincerely. That was the closest I've ever got to I'm sorry or I was wrong from Ethan since he was eight.

"Thank you for that. I guess I was sorta being a dick too. Sorry about that," I apologized.

"We good, Jackass?" He asked me with the ends of his lips twitching into a smirk.

"Yeah we're good, Asshole," I laughed and looked over at him.

I pulled into the school parking lot late as per usual. We tended to show up late ninety-three percent of the time. Unluckily for me, my first teacher is Ms. Wells, who hates my guts and liver. Not to mention she's a complete asshole.

I took my sweet time getting to class. It was AP English IV.

"Ah Mr. Quincy, so nice of you to finally join us," Ms. Wells bit sarcastically.

"Always a pleasure Ms. Wells," I smirked as I sat in my normal seat in the back of the classroom.

Ms. Wells continued her long boring lecture about The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway. There's nothing about this book that she could teach me that I didn't already know.

Suddenly the door swung open, switching all of our attention to the door. More specifically the person who opened it.

It was a girl. She was Asian with long dark hair and brown eyes. She wore a blue tank top and denim shorts. I'm not gonna lie, she was absolutely gorgeous.

"Hi, I'm Ashtyn Briggs and I'm new here," She introduced herself. The look on Ms. Wells' face suggested she had no idea we were getting a new student today. "This is Ms. Wells's AP English four class, correct?" She asked as she read Ms. Wells' face.

Ms. Wells nodded with pursed lips. "Take a seat and try to be on time next time," she said authoritatively as she looked down at the poor girl.

The girl mumbled a yes ma'am and took a seat in the only empty seat in the room which just so happens to be in front of me.

"Great now she hates me," she mumbled to herself as she got her stuff out of her backpack.

"No she's just an asshole," I whispered to her. There wasn't anything better to do in this boring lecture.

She looked up at me with wide eyes. She clearly didn't expect anyone to say anything.

"Um, are you allowed to call a teacher an asshole in their classroom? Or in general?" She whispered back to me.

I shrugged. "It's only wrong if you get caught," I smirked. "I'm Easton Quincy"

"Ashtyn Briggs," she answered.

"Mr. Quincy, is there something more important to discuss instead of listening to my lesson?" Ms. Wells questioned me.

I just shrugged in response. "Probably," I admitted. "But I was just getting to know the new student, Miss Briggs, here," I flashed her a dazzling smile. I could see some of the girls swoon at the sight.

"Very well then. Pay attention. Miss Briggs turn around," She ordered.

Ashtyn quickly turned around and faced the front of the room.

I zoned out for the next few minutes of the class. The bell rang and I slowly got up and threw my backpack over my shoulder.