1~ Another Day, Another Fight

Start from the beginning

"He was punching Ethan, Mason! They were teaming up on him. What did you want me to do? Watch them beat my brother and pick him up when he's lying on the floor?" I raised my voice.

"No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying you should start thinking ahead for once in your life. You have a real shot at a good future for yourself. Don't mess that up because of some punks in high school," He said calmly.

He never lost his temper with me. No matter how many times I raised my voice and fought with him. He always kept a level head.

"I don't have the time to think ahead. I have to think about Ethan and keep him out of trouble. My future can go to hell for all I care as long as Ethan's doesn't."

Mason sighed. "Easton, go home and get some rest. We'll continue this another day."

I got up and walked out of his office. I made my way back to the car.

Ethan was staring out of the window. "Demi is gonna tear your head off when she sees that black eye."

He rolled his now blackened eyes at me. "Shut up," he mumbled under his breath.

I put the car in drive and pulled out of the parking lot.

"We need to talk," I told him as we approached a red light.

"Can we not?" he bit.

"No, Ethan, we can't not. You have got to get your shit together. I'm not going to be here to protect you after this year. You can't keep biting off more than you can chew."

"Well, maybe I don't need a protector. I'm old enough to take care of myself."

I rolled my eyes at him. "Yeah, you're old enough to get yourself in trouble, but I'm always there to bail your ass out."

"You're not my father. In case you don't remember, I've already had one of those and it didn't turn out so well," he snapped.

That comment felt like a slap to the face. I just stared at the kid in complete shock. A horn honked behind us, bringing me out of my trance. I turned to face the road and my jaw locked.

I drove to the house in silence. We walked in through the kitchen as always. Demi was in there cleaning.

She gasped as she saw Ethan's black eye.

"Ethan, what did you do?" She took his face in her hands and examined it.

I walked off in anger. I'm still not okay with the comment Ethan made in the car. He can't just bring that abusive, deadbeat, son of a bitch into a conversation like that.

"Easton!" Demi called after me. I ignored her.

I clenched and unclenched my hands repeatedly. I wanted to hit something.

When I couldn't control it anymore, I grabbed my headphones and armband and jogged downstairs and out of the door. Demi called after me again, but again I ignored her.

I broke into a run on the sidewalk. I ran until my legs burned and I ran some more. Eventually, everything was in sync again. I had control. I slowed to a jog and finished the route back to the house.

I got back to the house and headed straight for my room. My shirt was sweat-soaked so I ditched it. I hopped into the shower. I let the water pelt against my aching muscles. I stayed there until the water turned cold. I let the last of the anger drain with the water.

I dried off and wrapped a towel around my waist before stepping out of the bathroom and into my bedroom. It wasn't anything special. I had a king-sized bed in the middle of the room. A dresser with a flat-screen tv across from it. A desk, that I never use, is on the left wall. I had a few posters on the wall, but other than that my walls were blank and lifeless.