WHAT IF... Soren worked on the Wanderlust

What if Soren worked on the Wanderlust instead of the Hiraeth?

If Soren had made a different decision that day in West Draulin, the next few years of his life would have changed quite a bit, for both him and Tanden. Let's see what might have happened.

***

Soren eyed the small merchant schooner, trying to work up the courage to walk up the gangway. Or to do anything, really. He held two notes in his hand. One of them was still folded and sealed, the other was open, and he stared down at it. Checking for the umpteenth time to ensure he'd found the right ship. The ship's name was painted in white letters, the Hiraeth. There was no mistaking it.

But did he want to work on a merchant ship? It wasn't even properly part of the navy.

His father had known the ship's Captain. Soren knew it was an easy way to get a job, and he really did need a job. With his father gone, there was no one to look out for him. He needed a job.

But, maybe he didn't need this one. He was nearly fifteen, after all, and a very good worker. Why settle for a privately owned merchant without at least trying for a navy job? And if he couldn't get one, at least the Hiraeth would be back.

He slipped both letters into his pocket, took a deep breath, and turned his back on the Hiraeth.

The West Draulin Navy end of the port was nice. Cleaner, better maintained, safer—overall simply a nicer place than the other end of the port. Soren had been there before, while briefly working on a navy ship with his father the year before. That hadn't been a real job, not really, but it did give him a bit of experience in that world.

He walked along, looking at the different ships and the uniformed sailors. Slowly, it dawned on him that he wasn't quite sure how to get a navy job. Did he just walk up to one of the ships and ask? It couldn't possibly be so simple, and yet, Soren had no other ideas.

Then came the struggle of picking a ship. He avoided the military ships and anything that looked too important. What he wanted was a simple navy merchant ship. He knew how merchant ships ran, and he knew he could...

The thought vanished. Up ahead was the most beautiful ship he had ever seen. Long and sleek, with three masts holding up light blue sails. He walked closer, skirting around a group of men, eyes glued to the ship. He could just make out the name, beautifully painted.

"Wanderlust," he read out loud.

"Aye, she's pretty, isn't she?"

Soren flinched, and looked at the man in surprise. Seeing a Crelan wasn't shocking, but the man was a surprise, simply because of his clothing. He wasn't dressed in a uniform, which made Soren jump to the only conclusion he could come up with.

"Are you her captain?"

The man chuckled. "I'm a captain, but I'm not her captain. You're looking for him." He gestured towards the gangway, where a Teltan barely older than Soren was climbing onto the ship.

Soren could immediately tell he was rich. Nobody that young could be a navy captain without buying their way in.

"Why d'you want to see him, lad?"

Soren realized suddenly that he was staring after the Teltan. He shrugged and turned back to the Crelan captain. "No reason, just... d'you know if he's hirin'?"

The man smiled and clapped Soren on the shoulder. "Wouldn't hurt to ask. I'll introduce you, lad. Come on." He walked over to the gangway, leaving Soren to hurry after him. The man hopped onto the deck and Soren stuck as close as possible as they joined the group of sailors gathered around the young captain.