Greatest Thief Characters

These drawings were done in 2014/15. They're still fairly accurate, but I'll mention if something is different now. Their ages are from book 2, 'An Aimless War'. If you haven't read AAW yet, there will be a few spoilers.

Tannix and Finn

Tannix is 19 when he becomes Lord West Draulin

Tannix is 19 when he becomes Lord West Draulin. He is an excellent swordsman, and can fight equally well with either hand. He has been trained to fight with other weapons as well, and while he can handle them he isn't particularly good with anything else. Tannix wants to be respected for his actions and abilities as opposed to his title and wealth. He is somewhat uncomfortable with his power, and is (almost purposefully) unaware of his strengths as a leader. He respects and values people who will speak up against him and point out his mistakes or flaws, which is why his closest friends have always been his knights instead of other lords. Tannix often struggles with imposter syndrome. He is demisexual.

Finn is approximately 17 in the second book. He is half Teltish through his father—a fact he suspects but can never be one hundred percent sure is true. He has no living family that he is aware of, and no way to find out more about his father. Finn wants to be underestimated.  His small size means he isn't great in physical confrontations, he's very good at slipping away and hiding. Finn sees stealing as a necessity for survival, and isn't out to inconvenience anyone else. He is much smarter than he lets on. He is a good gambler, has an eidetic memory, and has learned a lot by eavesdropping over the years. Finn is gay.

Behind the Scenes: Finn's full name, Finagale, is very similar to the word finagle (to obtain something by devious or dishonest means). That is a complete accident!

Castin and Baisan

Castin is approximately 15

Castin is approximately 15. He is half Navirian, but similarly to Finn has no way of ever knowing this. Castin has never been a good thief but he's always been good at fighting, hence his role as bodyguard/protector for the thieves. He and Finn clash constantly, but have a lot of respect for each other. Castin is always putting others above himself. When he was about seven he promised to protect Baisan and he has never once stepped back from that responsibility.  His new family with Stria puts a bit of a strain on him, because he isn't always sure where his greater loyalty is supposed to land. Luckily, Baisan and Stria don't often put him in a position where he has to choose. Castin has dyslexia, which hasn't come up in the books yet but will later on.