Chapter 24: Giving Up

Start from the beginning

"Thanks God you're still alive!" she said exaggeratingly making me chuckled and she gave me a bear tight hug.

"Hi Nicolas." I greeted as I gave him a quick hug too.

"Come in." I said and I just noticed the basket full of fruits. Nicolas pick the basket up and both entered the room.

"I'll put the basket in your kitchen table, ok?" Nicolas inquired as he walked to the kitchen table.

"Thanks! You shouldn't bother, but thank you!" I smiled.

"Would you guys want coffee?" I asked shifting my gaze back and forth to them.

"I don't drink coffee and Nicolas is going somewhere." Mara replied which Nicolas agreed and walked to her side and gave her a kiss in her lips. The two look good together. They are always sweet. I smiled.

"I'll see you later honey!" he said to her.

"Thanks Nicki! Please let me know if she's giving you headache!" Nicolas laughed and then headed to the door.

"Sure thing Nicolas!" I chuckled and close the door when he left.

"Oh you're so lucky missy!" I exclaimed to Mara and walked to her. She seated on the sofa bed. I occupied the exmpty spot beside her.

"I know!" she mused..

"So back to you! I want to know everything.. Why are you so upset?" she inquired without ceremony. She looks one bit tenacious cat.

"Alex proposed to Annabel last night!" I said hardly coming out of my mouth. I felt the lump stuck in my throat. Again I felt the tears pricking in my eyelid. I hold it back.

"Ohhhh........ I thought he loves you?" We saw how devastated he is when you left to the Philippines..

"It wasn't love Mara. I think he was just infatuated. You know.. teenage feelings. Not quite grown yet.." I fake laughed.

"No Nicki! You should have seen him. He lost a lot of weight. He looks terrible everytime we saw him at school. Most of the time he's drunk and he stopped playing soccer. He never hang out with anybody. He shuts everyone in his life." Mara explained intently.

"That was before Mara!" I uttered bitterly.. sadness laced in my words.

"Do you still love him?" Mara asked cautiously.

"I do. It never gone. It's always him!" I admitted as I sighed heavily.

"I'm sorry Nicki!.. " Mara said softly and pulled me for a hug. Then and there, I burst into tears.

"He just came here an hour ago. Accusing me of playing with the boys and that I'm not as innocent as he thinks of me! You know it hurst... He looks so disgusted at me. Those words coming from him was like a knife stabbing in my heart non-stop." I sniffed.. I pulled away myself when I realized her shoulder was already wet.

"I'm sorry I wet your shoulder." I laughed between tears.

"Jeezzz Nicki.. You're in the midst of a problem right now still bothered with my wet shoulder. I don't care sissy." she playfully chided.

"I wanted to erase him out of my heart, you know. But I don't know how?" I chuckled bitterly.

"As the old folks says, Time will heal Nicki. You'll forget him but it takes time. You just have to wait.." she quipped smilingly.

"You're always the sensible Mara I know!!" I stated admiringly.

"I know you're always the strong willed and tough Nicki I know!! She said heartily. Then we both laughed.