Part 25 A Walk to Forgiveness

Chapter 29

Chapter 29

The Walk to forgiveness. 

Arpita , Avi and Patty walked through the narrow lane through a grove of banyan trees .

Once again a pair of lovers and a loving sister walked down this lane .

This trio had no idea how momentous this was . History was repeating itself . But it was a renewal , a rejuvination .

Arpita walked a little ahead and Avi and Patty followed . They were holding hands . The lane seemed to call for it . Shadowy and green , the sound of chirping cicadas almost deafening , it enveloped them . They reached a small house at the end of the lane . It was in a bad state of disrepair but still looked cute . Arpita turned and smiled at them .

Exclaiming , 'So pretty ! ' she walked in . The main door was open . There was a small courtyard and then a balcony running along the entire frontage with several doors . It looked like all the rooms opened into it .

One by one , they opened all the doors and explored the house . Three bedrooms , a dining room, a small drawing room , a kitchen and a small prayer room were in the main part of the house . The bathroom was across the courtyard .

They walked out again . The interior felt a bit sad . They walked to the back to the building . There the grove of trees continued . They walked into the shadowy passage again and came upon a little pond . It was surrounded by trees . Mangoe , tamarind , lychee and black plum trees abounded . It was a beautiful spot .

' I could stay here forever . ' Patty said with a sigh . He sat down under a tree and Arpita and Avi sat on his either sides .

Unconsciously , without any knowledge of the significance of their choice , our trio had chosen to sit under Duke and Piku's tamarind tree .

If only trees could talk , it could have told them of the beginning of a love it had witnessed that spanned nearly a century . They sat for a while and stared at the pond , slightly hypnotized by the non stop chi chi chi of the cicadas .

Avi rested his head on Patty's shoulder and Patty settled in , hugging him tightly . This dark green cave was embracing them as if welcoming them back home .

When they returned , the family was gathered in the dining room , drinking tea . They were handed theirs and they stood listening to the discussions of how they'll proceed with the puja the next day .

Rupa joined them and one by one the others of their generation came along . They were all introduced to Patty . He heard a bunch of names which he promptly forgot . He was just glad to see that there were no more Avi lookalikes . The two female versions were freaky enough . Patty was well aware that he was being scrutinized by all of them but he didn't feel any hostility so he just took it as curiosity and let it go .

Arati was calling for Raju to take some snacks up to Dadua's room . Avi stepped in and volunteered . He glanced at Arpita and Patty and the three of them walked out to go to the old man . Avi still didn't want to talk to the him alone .