Year 4 - "Mad-Eye" Moody

TW: mentions of body image issues

The next day goes fairly smoothly for a first day of class. Harry, Ron, Hermione and I all have class together in the morning where we get introduced to Hagrids blast ended skrewts (not our favorite part of the day) and then Hermione and I spend some time in the library during lunch. 

I've never been as good at school as Hermione, but we end up studying together a lot. Her work ethics tend to influence me to study more than Ron and Harry so I typically end up getting fairly decent grades. 

Hermione and I head off to Arithmancy in the afternoon while the boys head to Divination. Hermione and I dropped that class last year once we realized what rubbish it was. Besides, I doubt that I'll need Divination for whatever career I decide to pursue. 

Class goes smoothly and once dinner time rolls around we meet the boys in the great hall. 

"Miserable old bat," Ron mutters as we approach them. "That'll take all weekend, that will..." 

"Trelawney give you all trouble today?" I ask. 

"Just a mountain of homework," he groans. 

"Lot's of homework, you say?" Hermione says brightly. "Professor Vector didn't give us any at all!" 

Ron shoots her an irritated look as a voice calls out behind us. 

"Weasley! Hey, Weasley!" 

The four of turn around to see Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle standing behind us, smug smiles on each of their faces.

"What?" Ron says sharply. 

"Your dad's in the paper, Weasley!"  Malfoy says loudly. "Listen here." 

"The Ministry of Magic, recently under fire for not being able to contain the crowd at the recent Quidditch World Cup, was plunged into fresh embarrassment by the antics of Arnold Weasley of the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Office. Mr. Weasley was involved in a tussle with several muggle law keepers over a number of highly aggressive dustbins. He was rushing to the aid of former Auror "Mad-Eye" Moody, who unsurprisingly raised the false alarm. Mr. Weasley has since refused to answer Daily Prophet questions about why the Ministry was involved in such a potentially embarrassing scene."

"And there's a picture, Weasley!" Malfoy finishes. "A picture of your parents outside their house, if you can even call it a house. Your mother could do with losing a bit of weight, couldn't she?" 

Ron is shaking with rage next to me, and I step forward to put my hand on his arm and glare at Malfoy. He smirks as he takes in the sight of me next to Ron, looking me up and down. 

"Of course, that's never bothered you, has is Weasley?" 

"Get stuffed, Malfoy," Harry says as Ron takes a step toward Malfoy. "C'mon, Ron..."

"Oh yeah, you stayed with them this summer," Malfoy jeers. "So tell me, is his mother really that porky, or is it just the picture?" 

My grip tightens around Ron's arm as he lunges forward. I place one hand on his shoulder as I move in front of him and push him back. 

"Ron, stop. He's not worth it, stop!" 

"You know your mother, Malfoy?" Harry retorts. "That expression she's got, like she's got dung under her nose? Has she always looked like that, or was it just because you were with her?" 

I snort as Malfoy's face turns pink. 

"Don't you dare insult my mother, Potter." 

"Keep your big fat mouth shut then," Harry says, turning his back to Malfoy. Ron stops trying to get to Malfoy and looks me in the eyes, giving me a small nod.