Zhongli x reader

(OC-ish reader, gender neutral reader, fluff, and minor angst) (SPOILERS AHEAD BE WARNED)

there were some technical difficulties, apologies for late oneshot. also, THANK YOU FOR 1K READS <3

3 years before the war

"Troubles with mortals again?"

Morax stood at the edge of the highest point in Qingyun Peak. The windy altitude blew his long loose clothes gently. His hood pulled back letting his long black and brown hair loose along with the wind. His head turned to the side to meet your eyes. You noticed how his fingers lightly tapped his wrist clasped behind his back, indicating he was in thought of something.

You stood at the crest of the peak, looking up to the Archons' elegant form.

"Mostly just bad dreams, nothing of much importance." You played with the dream catcher around your neck.

"It's the children again isn't it?" Morax now turned his body to you.

He stared down with lidded calm eyes with slight concern in his voice.

You only nodded at his question with the very obvious answer.

Morax nodded and turned back to the scenery before him. The wind had calmed down letting his hair rest on his shoulders and spine. You decided to join him in admiring the mountains and clear sky. You bunched up your long silk skirt to walk up the piles of rocks until you were at the top. Morax gladly made more room for you to stand with him. Your job was not an easy one, being a god of dreams and casting charms on houses from demons. Although it sounded far easier than the Geo Archon's duties it wasn't a trouble free occupation.

"Now that the children have been blessed by your hand they will rest easy now." Morax looked over to you with a reassuring face.

You looked up at him, about to say your doubts but he stopped you.

"The children are hard to reassure with their wild imagination, It's hard not to listen to you. The monsters won't find them because of your excellent charms. Because of you, my people can sleep soundly without fear or worries. You have my thanks, Mensheng." Morax looked down upon the small village with a satisfied smile.

You gave him a closed eye smile as he gently patted your head between your horns.

2 years before the war

"There, all better." You opened your eyes and lifted your hand from the boy's forehead.

"Does this mean no more nightmares?" The boy kept his eyes tightly shut.

You sat back on your heels and held your hands in your lap. You were still mildly surprised the boy didn't find you frightening. He came moments ago calling out your name shouting pleas for help. Any mortal would find a being with horns, unhuman eye color and a collection of charms and spells to be demon-like and run away in fear.

"No more nightmares! You can get a full night's sleep for many moons." You promised.

The boy slowly opened one eye, then the other. The little boy was all dirty, old clothes, and a thin body. Your heart slightly broke at the thought of him not living under a roof. His eyes were full of fear and loneliness, the whites red and puffy from no sleep.

"W-what about the monsters? What if they come back?" His lip wobbled.

His eyes started to water and his nose went red. He was terrified at the thought of them coming to get him like they do in his nightmares. You looked around carefully. If you were spotted you would surely be scolded by Morax for letting a mortal see you. Let alone being seen by an adult mortal.