NI JUU

Times that were far, far away

They come flooding back

Forcing us to stay

And get closer to the dark

Dazai's POV

"So, have you found anything more yet?" I ask Kera-chan as I see her typing in her computer while I read some information that she has found on the prisoner she interrogated with Chuuya. Apparently, the man's brother had been slaughtered and, since that day, he became a criminal that worked in several cities of the country. He was originally from Yokohama, but he hadn't been in the country until two weeks ago, when the rumor of the possible arise of another criminal organization had begun spreading. Although I can't be sure about it, he might have been one of the informants regarding the operation at the Red Brick Warehouse last week. This plan, that seemed simple at first sight, is proving to be more and more complex every second that passes.

"A bunch of nothing followed by more nothing." She sighs, pinching the bridge of her nose and looking at me by leaning backwards on her chair. "It's like the ones behind this had erased all possible clues." As she finishes the sentence, though, something seems to click inside her, and she suddenly rushes to another room. No sooner I've lost her from my sight, I hear something falling inside it, causing me to rush after her.

"Hey, is everything alright?" I ask her as I see her sitting on the floor, her head inside a box that had fallen from one of the shelves. "Hahahahaha!!!"

"Yeah, yeah, very funny." She pouts, taking the box out of her head and picking up all the scattered papers on the floor. "Now help me with all this stuff."

I do as she tells me and, as I begin holding papers and files, I notice that the letter and signatures on them are not hers.

"Hey, is this-?"

"Documents that belonged to my father." She casually states. "Mizuki said all of my past would chase me down, which means there is a possibility that this might be related to when I wasn't part of the Port Mafia. Luckily, I decided to save them for some years just in case something bad happened."

"It's true, your father was once part of Endless Void, wasn't he?"

"Yeah. But he quit when I was seven years old, right after I was involved in a car accident."

"A car accident?" I ask her, raising an eyebrow. "You never told me." She simply shrugs, grabbing another box from the shelf and taking it to the living room where we are working.

"I never thought it was important. I've been in life-or-death situations my whole life, so I thought it was something frequent. Besides, it's not like I have any memories previous to it. It's almost like... Like they had never existed..." As she finishes the sentence, we exchange glares, thinking the same. However, we remain silent, rapidly rummaging through those two boxes in search of something useful.

And, in the end, I find something.

A file with a date from when she was seven years old. However, when I opened it, I saw only a pile of white sheets, nothing written on them.

"This doesn't add up... He'd never keep a blank paper without reason." She says, scratching her head.

"Maybe he used some sort of special ink." I suggest, approaching it to a lamp.

Nothing.

I furrow my eyebrows, thinking what else it could be, and I finally opt for lighting a match. The moment I approach it to the paper, the trick works. As if by magic, there are some places that turn completely dark, creating signs and letters that are probably a code.