"Rex Lapis?! That old fool?" He laughed, sneering. "Oh fuck me. That bastard has gone bonkers." He flicked a speck of dust off of his white silk shirt, brushing against to make sure it was clean. "I swear that moron is just doing all of this to spite me."

I clenched my fist, getting up and grabbing his collar.
"How dare you disrespect the name of Rex Lapis in the presence of one of his loyal subordinates-"

"Calm down, you're getting a little too close for my taste." He joked. "You wouldn't be speaking so loyally of him if you knew what he really was."

"What do you mean by that?" I gave him a puzzled look, but he only smiled back at me.

"Sit back down. I'll make us some coffee." He chirped, forcing me to let go of him. My eyes followed him across the room as I tried to stay cautious of him.

"So what will you do with me now that you know who I really am?" I questioned. "Are you going to strip me of my skin and leave me to die in the forest?"

"No, not at all. I've grown quite fond of you, Xiao. I'm not sure I have the heart to kill you."

He stayed quiet as he poured in the hot water into the clay cups. I got up, walking towards him with a sharp dagger in my hand.

I came up from behind him, holding it up to his neck as I placed it directly to where his throat was.
"You may have gone soft on me, but I won't hesitate to slice you in half." I threatened, pressing the blade up against his skin.

He gave me a side look before looking down at the dagger.

"Knife play? Kinky." He jeered.

"Don't turn this into some sick joke, Barbatos. I'd not playing around with you anymore. I will kill you." I vowed.

"You don't have the power to do so." He said.

The dagger ripped itself from out of my palm, and flung backwards, grazing my cheek with a mark as it hit the wall with a thud.

"You forget where you stand next to me, Xiao. Remember who I am before you go around threatening me with a dull blade."

"It's Alatus. Not Xiao." I reminded him, backing up away from behind him to give him some space as he turned around with a tray in his hand.

"Alatus isn't a cute name at all. Xiao is much more fun to say." He walked ahead of me, motioning me with his head to follow him back to the living room.

"So what was your purpose of this mission? I know it wasn't to assassinate me because if it had been, you wouldn't have come out to seek for me in such a childish form."

"—..More likely, they would have sent you as how you are now in an attempt to seduce me, and then strike me." He stated, setting the tray down on the table gently as he took a seat.

"That's oddly specific. Has it happened to you before?"

"Few times only." He shrugged, taking a sip. "Say—, where did that strange little blue bird that always follow around you go? I haven't seen it since-"

"—Since the witch burning in Mondstadt. I lost contact with it after you suddenly teleported us away." I explained to him, a bit agitated that my only connection to speaking with Rex Lapis was lost on that day.

"Would you like me to head over to the Capital and fetch it for you?" He asked, tilting his head as he spoke.

"No need. It probably retreated back to Liyue—." I said before cutting myself off from talking. I shouldn't be giving the enemy information! What the hell was I doing?