Prologue

She sat in the coach, the tears streaming down her cheeks blurring her view of the pretty landscape she was passing through. Her beautiful white dress was the height of fashion. White, because her family was rich enough to pay for a dress one assumed she would only ever wear on this day.

She had taken off her veil, and now she dried her eyes with her lace handkerchief. The horses had gained pace and were moving at a fast trot. In the distance, she saw the church she should have been in. Soon they would start to search for her. But she would not be there. She would never see them again.

The golden chain around her right wrist felt heavy. She pressed the palm of her left hand on it to cover it as the coach turned onto the road leading to the shore where a ship would be waiting for her.

She had made her choice. She had decided to break everyone's hearts, her own included. How could she not? The task awaiting her was bigger than any individual's hopes and dreams. And she was the only one who could do it. She had thought she was an ordinary young woman, but those delusions had been shattered.

She felt the silken white fabric under her hand.

She would never forget. She would wear white forever from now on to remember them, even long after they were all dead and gone, and she would still be writing.