Laurel was the first up to give Belly her gift. Everyone watched as the Conklin girl opened the small package. She looked at the book with a frown.

"It's a first edition. I got it from a rare book dealer." Laurel smiled proud of her gift.

"Thanks, Mom."

"Turn to the bookmarked page. It's your favorite poem."

"Oh, yeah." Belly gasped as she turned to the page. "I remember Susannah teaching us to recite this."

"For whatever we lose..." Belly started out. "Like a you or a me..." Soon everyone in the room was reciting the poem except for Violet. "It's always ourselves we find in the sea."

"Thank you. I love it." Belly said turning to her mom.

"You're welcome."

"Okay, open mine now, Belly." Susannah rushed out handing the girl a small box.

"Oh, wow." Belly's eyes were wide as she looked at the piece of jewelry. "They're gorgeous. Thank you, Susannah."

"My mom gave me these pearls for my sweet 16." The woman said getting up and putting the necklace on Belly. "Radiant, isn't she?"

"They look great on you, sweetheart." Laurel grinned at her best friend.

"Oh, I'm next." Jeremiah announced throwing his gift at the girl. "Here."

"Thank you." Belly nodded looking at the small item.

"It's a good-luck charm to help you pass your driving test." Jeremiah laughed at her confused expression.

"Perfect. Thank you."

"Think fast, Belly." Steven suddenly shouted also throwing his gift at the girl.

"Wow, Steven, I can't believe you actually spent money on me." Belly gasped sarcastically holding the shirt to her chest.

"Relax. I just didn't want you stealing mine next year when I get in." The boy shrugged.

"I didn't know you were still considering Princeton." Laurel mumbled looking at her son.

"You know, I-I think I'm gonna apply for some scholarships, and Dad thinks I can get some financial aid. I-I don't know. I'll see if I get in."

"Okay." Susannah stated trying to get rid of the awkwardness. She looked over at Violet and Conrad. They were the only two who hadn't yet given Belly a present. "Um...Violet do you have anything for Belly?"

"It's totally okay if you don't!" The Conklin girl rushed out. She didn't want the red head to feel bad if she hadn't gotten her anything. It's not like she could have known before hand that it was the girl's birthday.

"I did actually get you something. I'm not sure if you'll like it but I thought it was cute." Violet replied with a nervous smile. She hesitantly grabbed the small gift bag that was sitting on the floor beside Conrad's chair.

Belly smiled gratefully as she took the bag from Violet. The Conklin's girl smile only widened as she pulled out the pink and orange flowered bikini.

"I thought the colors would look good on you." Violet said. "I hope I got the right size. If not the receipt is in the bag."

"I love it!" Belly laughed. "Thanks Violet."

Susannah and Laurel both smiled at the fact that the two girls were getting along. They were happy that Belly finally had another girl her age to talk to in the house.

"So that leaves Conrad." Susannah sighed looking at her eldest son. "Do uh, do you want to give Belly your present?"

The room was silent as everyone looked at Conrad. The boy in question sighed looking at his girlfriend before looking at Belly apologetically.

"Sorry, I forgot." He hadn't actually forgotten her birthday. Conrad just had no idea what to get her so he put it off as long as he could. But obviously he never ended up getting her anything.

"Uh, that's... that's cool." Belly stuttered not really knowing what to say. She was hurt that he would forgotten her birthday. "Um... I wasn't really expecting anything anyway, so..."

"I got to go." Conrad said tapping the side of Violet's thigh so she'd stand up. "Um, I promised Cleveland that I'd show him some knots today, so..." He trailed off standing up. Conrad took one last glance at everyone in the rooms disappointed faces before rushing out. "Happy birthday, Belly."

Violet sat back down not really knowing what to do. She knew Conrad didn't forget Belly's birthday so she wasn't sure why he was lying.

"Hey." Jeremiah spoke up catching Belly's attention. "Why don't we take my car and practice driving before we have to pick up Taylor from the bus station."

Belly nodded with a grateful smile. Jeremiah always knew how to cheer the girl up. Belly could tell from the look on Violet's face that she was just as confused as her when it came to Conrad's behavior.

"Do you wanna come with us?" Belly asked looking at the Montgomery girl. She felt bad that Conrad had kind of just abandoned her.

"Oh no it's okay." The girl shook her head. "I promised Susannah that I'd help set up for your birthday dinner."

"You know you don't have to do that." Belly informed the girl.

"I know but I want to help." Violet shrugged. "Go have fun with Jeremiah. I'm excited to meet your friend."

"I'm sure she's excited to meet you too." Belly lied. She knew she had previously talked bad about Violet to Taylor. But in her defense, that was before she had gotten to know Violet.

Belly was sure that once Taylor got to know Violet she'd like her too. At least that's what she was hoping.

⊹• ━━━━༺•❁•༻━━━━ •⊹

^ Violet's Gift ^

The next couple of chapters with Taylor are going to be so good!