Chapter 1

Teyvat University, inside gym

"Okay, boys. Take 5", the coach blew his whistle as soon as Ayato successfully scored a clear 3-pointer.

A group of cheerleaders squealed delightfully from afar when he ran his fingers through his sweaty light blue hair strands.

"Nice one, Cap", Thoma smiled at him as they exchanged a high-five.

"Already calling me captain?", Ayato smirked at him.

"Oh please, who else would get the captain position if not you?", Ajax commented as he dribbled the ball with Itto.

"You are the only suitable senior here for such a position", Kaeya also added as he re-tied his ponytail.

"Hey! I'm senior, too", Itto rebuked before the ball was stolen by Ajax.

"Precisely, that is why", Kaeya teased the tallest guy in their group.

After Ajax successfully bypassed Itto and scored, Itto shrugged nonchalantly, "well if it's Ayato, I don't mind."

Ayato chuckled at his fellow seniors' words, "I appreciate you all having faith in me. I hope the coach's decision is the same as yours, too."

He directed next question to two juniors with a knowing smile, "are you sure about supporting me, Ajax? Didn't you say you will be my rival for the position?"

The ginger-haired boy snorted as he tossed the ball to Thoma, "it seems cool at first but I'm not a workaholic like you. I barely have enough time to submit assignments in time."

Thoma caught the ball with ease, "let's not forget he almost failed the last term, too. Coach wouldn't let him neglect studies."

Ajax rolled his eyes at his good-natured friend, "jeez, you didn't have to bring up my studies. I will pass them, no pressure."

Kaeya crossed his arms and sneaked a look at the other seniors, "guess the other seniors have already given up, too. They couldn't even pretend to hide their misery."

Itto asked innocently, "do they even count? They aren't first-string players anyway."

Thoma winced at his words, "that is a little harsh. You can even see invisible arrows going through their chests."

Ajax smirked, "harsh but true. Even after 3 years of playing, they were even replaced by juniors like us."

Ayato messed up his hair teasingly, "now, now. It's rude to straight-up comment like that. You have to give some points that you and Thoma got both talents and passion for this."

The younger player slapped away his hand from his hair, "not the hair, please. I can't tame it at all". Even though he tried to fix the mess called hair, his ahoge hair stood up proudly again.

At that time, a group of cheerleaders approached them.

Becca handed a bottle of water to Ayato while batting her eyelids at him, "thirsty, Captain?"

Ayato gave her a closed-eye polite smile, "Becca, I thought you girls have captain selection too? Also, don't call me that yet. It hasn't decided yet."

The other girls giggled when Kaeya winked at them playfully.

She twirled her brown hair with finger, "we already had. And, of course, I got the position."

In the background, Ajax pulled up his shirt to dry off sweat and intentionally let the girls see his rock-hard abs. They obviously took the sight with deep appreciated sounds.