Chapter Twenty Four

Start from the beginning

Even if it meant that my mates, my cousin - my family - would also bear witness to the horror I'd had to become. I simply couldn't think about it, think about them, not right now, not tonight. Not if I were to remain strong.

I'd deal with the fallout later.

It was the only thing I could do.

So, instead of concerning myself with their reactions, I crossed the room - each step bringing me too quickly towards our inevitable departure.

Aedion, who was facing towards me in a tunic of dark green, let out a low whistle when he noticed my arrival. "Well, well, look who cleans up well. If your goal was to scare the living shit out of everyone in attendance, I think you'll succeed."

At his words, my mates turned towards me. Dressed in their own finery, form fitting black tunics and jackets that only emphasized their powerful shoulders, the raw power their frames contained. The beauty and elegance of their clothing made an enthralling contrast with the harsh, angry set of their mouths, the primal wrath already banking in their eyes.

I went breathless at the vision they presented, nearly irritated that they would be so distracting - until their eyes caught on me.

And they went completely and utterly still at the sight of my dress.

I could barely contain my smirk as I felt four sets of eyes examining the black velvet that hugged every curve and hollow before pooling at my feet. Their gazes were searing as they swept over my body. Down, then up - to the hair I'd swept back with golden batwing-shaped combs that rose above either side of my head like a primal headdress; before finally settling on my face that I'd decorated with only a harsh line of kohl along my eyelids and painstakingly colored lips - blood red.

All but glowing under the smoldering weight of their attention, I turned to show them the back - the roaring golden dragon that clawed up my body, shimmering and deadly. I looked over my shoulder as they slid their focus south once more, not missing the way all four sets of eyes lingered there.

Slowly, their gazes lifted to mine. And I sucked in a sharp breath at the blazing heat of the ravenous hunger they made no attempt to hide.

Sensing this was something he had no desire to witness, Aedion hastily strode for the door, mumbling under his breath, "Guess I'll just wait by the carriage then. Not like we have a deadline or anything."

My mates and I paid him no mind, too enraptured with one another. The door shut behind him, and still we didn't move.

Cassian shot me a dirty smirk. "I can see it now."

I raised an eyebrow, cursing myself for how breathless my voice still was. "See what, General?"

The heat in his eyes burned impossibly hotter at my irreverent use of his title.

"Why those bastards called you a fire-breathing bitch-queen," he purred. "You look like hellfire come to life in that dress, little mate."

I didn't blush. I didn't.

Waving my hand at them, I feigned nonchalance. "I suppose you don't look too bad yourselves."

A bald-faced lie. I'd be lucky if I could keep my eyes off them at all tonight.

Silently, Rhysand approached, offering me his arm without any words exchanged between us. None were needed. The possessive, predatory gleam in his violet eyes told me everything I needed to know.

Together we marched towards the door. I didn't trust myself to look back at the rest of them, even as I called over my shoulder, "Don't forget your cloaks. I'd rather not clean up after all the poor mortal women who would combust at the sight of you."