Chapter Three

(Your Pov)

"This is wrong."

"Bruce..."

"It is! Anything else would have shown signs of awakening by now."

There was a mumble, "-but it's not like she hasn't done anything shady, either."

Voices arouse you from your sleep, as your eyes slowly peek open. You look up to see two figures. The redhead shot a look to the other, one that you could only guess meant 'I told you so.' But about what, you didn't know.

Then you spot a reflection. Your reflection, against the glass between you and them. Like some weird fish bowl style room. As you sit up, you realise the only furniture in the room is the bed which you sat on now.

Did- did they imprison you?

"Who are you?" You ask immediately, hoping that they were other humans. These senses could only tell you so much, making it nearly impossible to decipher between Asdgardians and Midgardians. When they tried to hide, at least. Which was a relief for you, until this moment.

"We're the Avengers." The woman answered, watching you closely. As if you'd give some hint that would be your downfall. "What's your name?"

"Y/N L/N." You had no idea what or who the Avengers were, although it seemed they wanted you dead.

"Really? And not Jasmine Spice, Ruby Stone, Paige Book," She continued listing off every one of your aliases over the past few decades, her friend watching for your reaction. Despite trying to keep a steady face, the longer her list grows, the more you fail. You've always been terrible at coming up with names, and your opinion broke through your mask. "You've lived for quite some time, Y/N. If that is what I should even call you."

You thump your head against the glass behind you, cursing yourself for getting caught. Why didn't you just disappear after saving those people? It would've been so much easier. Especially after using your abilities- or however it is that you fought off the aliens. Earth hated beings stronger than themselves, always hunting them to extinction.

"Nat, stop." The man said, "Give her a second to find her bearings."

"I know what I'm doing, Banner." She replied, giving him a strong glare. "What's the truth, Y/N?"

You look up when your name is mentioned, waiting a second before replying. "The truth is, I don't know what happened. I do know that I killed three aliens, then took one of their blasters to go kick the rest of their asses. I am not one of them."

"Then what are you? Human?"

"Yes." The moment the word left your mouth, a beep popped off her radio. They looked back towards you, trying to bore holes through your skull. Were they monitoring your conversation? Why would they do that? Unless they already made up their minds about you-

Shit.

Sure, now they knew you lied- but worse yet, they already decided what you are.

And there would be no reasoning with them now.

*

From that point on, you remained silent through all their questions, ignoring whoever came in. And absolutely frustrating them in the process. But it's not like you had a choice, they wouldn't listen to what you said anyway. They wouldn't trust you.

So you bid your time. Three times a day someone would bring you a meal, paired with the same interrogation. 'Who are you? What are you? Why are you here? Where did you come from?'

But to give that away is to doom yourself. They would hate you for it- or worse, somehow turn you over to the Asgardian hunters who killed your parents. Perhaps the groups had disbanded by now, but no doubt those monsters were still alive.

One morning, someone new finally arrived. Normally Natasha, Bruce, or occasionally Clint would come visit, to the point where it had become routine by now. They would come in, deliver food, ask a few questions, you remain silent, then they leave. Simple.

Not with Tony Stark, though. The latest in the ever growing list of 'worldly heroes'. You've met, at one point or other, most of them- like renaissance artists or the more recent civil rights leaders. You even met Albert Einstein- and holy heck, was that guy wild. They all held their quirks, of course, but when compared to general humanity, they were no different than anyone else.

But Tony Stark? When he came striding into your cell block, you couldn't help but roll your eyes. Here was this man who got his name plastered on every headline awhile back- over and over again. Billionaire, Ironman- he even died a few times. According to the news, at least.

"Don't you hate the mornings?" He grumbled, sliding your plate of food through its own little opening. "It's always the early bird gets the worm, but doesn't anyone ever think about how the early worm dies?"

You stifle a laugh, trying so desperately to not give a reaction. This was just another one of their monitored experiments.

"And then, someone once told me that the second mouse gets the cheese. I still haven't figured that one out." He looked around the room, strutting about as if he had nothing better to do. "This room is ridiculously bare. Don't you ever ask for something colorful?"

Uh-huh, as if they'd give you anything more than food. Why was this suddenly your fault?

"You know, I've had my fair share of aliens. Or, extraterrestrials- if you prefer that mouthful." He faced your unmoving form, saying nothing for a moment. "If you are one, you have done a great job at mimicking human stubbornness."

You wanted to play his game, sending back a snarky reply. 'Oh yeah, sure- I've only lived here some 20 times longer than anyone alive'. But to say anything would be to give yourself away. Here they are, thinking how big a threat you are if you're an alien- but what would happen if they discovered your true identity? A giant, flying, fire breathing, indestructible dragon might be cause for greater caution.

"So instead of asking questions, you can ask me one. About anything. And I'll answer." He crossed his arms, staring you down. "And before you ask why I'm doing this, I just want to make sure you can still talk. That you aren't just waiting around to be released, because we won't be releasing you until you answer some questions, Y/N."

You purse your lips. Really? One question? As many that were burning you up inside, you doubted he would let you get away with free knowledge. Whatever you asked, Stark would form into data of some kind to be analysed and dissected for all your weaknesses. You couldn't let him do that. 

And yet to say nothing would inevitably be a worse fate. "What day is it?"

"I have absolutely no idea." Tony chuckled, pulling out his phone. "Wednesday. You've been here for almost two weeks now." He turned for the door, his mission completed. But not before lingering for a second at the doorway. "Try to think about telling the truth, kid. It wouldn't hurt."

With that he walked out, leaving you to lurk in your thoughts. No doubt he was going to try and figure out why you would ever ask for the date, and you knew he wouldn't be able to find anything about it. You had wanted simple information, nothing more.

You grab your food from where it was set, digging in.