1 | new kid

'i don't think you understand how lucky you are, simon!', freya spoke, shaking my arm. 'with what?', i ask her, putting my phone in my blazer pocket. 'with your boyfriend! he's got a lot of money, too! you can literally ask him anything and he'll get it for you. that's like- my dream!', freya said. 'oi, quit drooling yeah?', i joked, making her laugh slightly. 'no but i'm serious. you're so lucky!', freya stated. 'frey, it's not just about the money. ethan's a nice guy. he's got a massive ego, but he's sweet.', i explained. everyone likes ethan because he's wealthy. but i genuinely couldn't care less about all of that.

i clearly wasn't made for such a lavish lifestyle. every time he gets me something - which is almost twenty four seven - i feel awkward and don't want to take it. he keeps on insisting and it makes me feel bad not to say yes. some of my friends call him my sugar daddy, but he's far from that.

'okay, but did you see the effort he put into your birthday present last year? he booked you a very fancy hotel suite with a hot tub and a private chef! that was so kind of him!', freya chanted. 'his manager did the effort. she searched for the hotel, he just bought it. plus, the hotel didn't matter. i just wished he would've been there with me.', i informed freya. 'oh, yeah. i forgot he just dipped after dropping you and our friends off at the hotel. maybe it's different this year.', freya said, but i highly doubt that. it's been like this for two years. he sends me somewhere pretty with my friends and just fucks off after to do god knows what.

'sure, whatever. we're here now. what class do you have first?', i shrugged, looking at freya. 'i have math.', freya said, sticking out her tongue in disgust. 'you?' 'i have english first. wish me luck.', i informed her. 'luck wished to you!', freya smiled as she took a turn to her classroom. 'what a weird girl', i whisper, smiling slightly. 'hello, my pretty baby. you seem to be happy.', a voice sounded as an arm swung around my waist. 'hey! yeah, i was just smiling at freya's stupidity.', i told him as he smiled at me. 'what class do you have now? i have english.', ethan asked, still leaving his arm around my waist. 'me too, it's right here!', i said as i pointed towards the classroom. 'let's go in, then.', ethan said, kissing me on the cheek.

***

i think this english lesson was the most jarring one i've ever endured. ethan sat me next to me and all his mates surrounded our table like a swarm of bees around a honeypot. they were all rambling on about a party they're planning to throw when it's ethan birthday, which is still far from today. as i kept my eyes on the ticking clock, i saw freya's head peeking through the little window in the classroom. i immediately waved at her as she waved back. finally, the bell rung and i got up rapidly. i power-walked towards the door and walked away with freya.

'not gonna wait for ethan?', freya asked, looking at ethan. 'no, he's having lunch with his mates anyway.', i informed her. we took a turn that led to the back door, leaving our school's building. 'i still don't get why you don't get along with his mates. aren't they always super nice to you?', freya said, sitting down on a bench. 'well, i don't know. i like tobi, he's nice. josh isn't too bad. but harry and ethan act like pigs once they're together! they throw food at one another, for example. harry likes to tense up the air when i'm there and i can't be asked to deal with that today.', i complained, moving my hands along like i'm some politician.

'okay. well, let's just wait for vik to get here.', freya proposed, me nodding along. i don't understand how freya's still my best friend. i'd leave myself if i were my friend. i guess she doesn't mind my complaining. i mean, it's not constant! just when she brings up ethan's friends. 'hello guys!', vik walked out of the back door, leaning against a wall. 'hey!', me amd freya said. 'how were your classes so far?', vik asked. 'jarring.', i exclaimed. 'why?', freya asked, vik raising his eyebrows. 'well ethan and his mates were rambling on about a party and they were loud as fuck.', i rolled my eyes. 'party? when?', freya asked, her eyes widening curiously.

'when it's ethan's birthday, so not anytime soon.', i informed freya, a frown approaching her face. 'okay, guess no dress shopping then.', she shrugged and it sent me and vik to laugh. 'yeah, no dress shopping.', vik said before giggling again. freya rolled her eyes and got up. 'you guys are really annoying.', she complained. 'go for a walk then, clear your mind.', i joked around, making freya leave.

***

me and freya both had history together, so we sat next to each other. 'right, students. before we get on with today's class, there'll be a new student joining you in this class, and maybe some others! he'll be arriving sometime soon, during this lesson. so please be a good bunch and make him feel at home!', mr. burner explained to us. 'new student? god, i hope he's fit, because all the fit lads here are taken.', freya rambled, making me shove her. 'maybe you should start focusing on your grades more. instead of boys.', i winked before she slapped me on the back of my head. 'shut your gob!', freya said, he tone joking.

we're halfway through our history class, and me and freya haven't been paying attention at all. we've been laughing away the entire time. mr. burner noticed, but didn't say shit. he wants to be a chill teacher and the entire class takes advantage of him for that reason. i kinda feel bad for him. 'alright, people. i'm gonna go out to the front to go get the new student. be good, okay?', he stated before leaving. 'fingers crossed he's fit.', freya said, closing her eyes and actually crossing her fingers. 'you're mad weird.', i joked, receiving another hit on the back of my head.

i heard the door open, but i was too invested in my work to look up and see who just came in. i heard the whole classroom make sounds, including freya. 'right, guys, this is our new student.', mr. burner said. 'oh em gee, he's well fit.', freya whispered, making me look up. when i looked up, i wish i hadn't. my stomach dropped. is that.. no way. please don't let that be.. fuck. 'are you good? you look like you've seen a ghost.', freya asked. 'no, i'm totally fine.', i said. i couldn't get my gaze off of him. just as i was practically staring at him, he saw me. he started smirking. seems like he remembers me, too.

i would like to think i physically changed a lot over time, in a good way. i look better and a lot different now than i did back then. 'simon, this new lad's looking at you. he's smirking. do you know him?', freya asked, making me more nervous. 'frey, stop with the questions. i'll tell you everything later.', i state and freya nods.

'hi everyone, i'm jj.'

***

first page!

- sarah